Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-06-02 19:38:59

klakritz
Eggcornista

'(in) local parentis' for 'in loco parentis'

The original is a legal term, meaning ‘in place of parents,’ for the role assumed by schools, teachers and other authorities. This gets reinterpreted as ‘local parents,’ i.e., the parent-like figures in the vicinity. About 100 ghits:

We’ve said for decades that librarians can’t act in local parentis—in place of parents.
www.pnla.org/quart/f98/read.htm

Colleges need to help students and parents understand that ‘in local parentis” is no longer present today…
www.alfredstate.edu/alfred/NewsBot.asp? … nID=396386

Teachers and school administrators can act in “local parentis”, meaning they have powers…
forums.govteen.com/archive/index.php/t-17123.html

... there is nothing as vulnerable and as stupid as a 20-year-old with a weapon, and the officers are supposed to be what we call in local PARENTIS. ...
www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/transcripts/20 … 4_2005.htm

In local parentis, if I am correct. It could also be ad local parentis, but I don’t think it is.
www.mrcranky.com/movies/adogofflanders/24/23.html

Board footer