Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-12 10:48:25

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

lipness test/paper

I don’t think she’ll be with us on The Iraq War question, and sorry but thats my lipness test

Since we really don’t know who is and isn’t (because skin tones aren’t certain), what’s the lipness test to determine who’s black and therefore worthy

Obama got his Christian lipness test. McCain gets the same. Obama’s World View Questions.

I am using the lipness test of Character for who I am going to vote for. I don’t want a dandified princeling who thinks he’s owed the white house

A simple lipness test is when you look accross the room: if you have real fellowship, you should be able to say where the person setting over there lives;

Abortion is a political lipness test for politicians.

Consider this statement in the text as well…it reveals there will be a lipness test…based on belief or more succinctly unbelief.

The engineers can tell by a piece of lipness paper installed inside the phone, and we’d never replace a phone with one that had the discoloured paper

discussed in an open forum such as this and also willing to have those tested against the lipness paper you place as your defence of your beliefs.

Related:

God wants us to raise our litness level

My litness test: Search for a band named Red Elvises. If found, then they probably have a decent …

a base level ol physical litness is the lirst step in identifying an

Apparently, for them, this is some sort of litness test for legitimacy – like a second chance at the Scudetto.

I thought of that as well and it will be a sort of litness test whether your mature content filter is on or off.

“Litmus” is of course quite opaque and ripe for malapropization/eggcorning. It is very easily assumed to be a noun (used as a modifier), and if so the eggcornish substitution of _ -ness_ for mus is natural. This is part of what is happening with litness , I think, though pretty clearly there is blending with fitness going on in some of the cases.

If (some of) those who use lipness actually construe lip-ness, I think we have a full-sale (i.e. wholescale) eggcorn. The meaning of lipness test would presumably be something like a (crucial) test based on what one says, which applies pretty well to the political lipness tests and some others. Lipness paper would likely be a sort of extension, no longer making such good sense, from lipness test .

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-10-14 19:30:06

kem
Eggcornista

Re: lipness test/paper

A puzzler. I had to roll this around in my head for a couple of days. I think I’m starting to see the eggcorn potential.

There are a couple of hundred sites that have “lipness” but not “lipness test.” Most of these are about “stiff upper lipness.” The notion of “stiff upper lipness” could be contributing to “lipness test.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-10-15 12:19:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I was thinking last night that this one can be a kind of metathesis, too. Within the tm consonant cluster, keep the stop-nasal order fixed, and metathesize the points of articulation (from apical-labial to labial-apical), and there you have it.

#4 2008-10-17 22:44:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

kem wrote:

The notion of “stiff upper lipness” could be contributing to “lipness test.”

The idea being that this is a test you have to endure stoically? Could be …

Board footer