Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-23 23:48:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

"To upchunk" for "to upchuck"

“To upchuck” means to vomit, throw up. And the result of that process is often, well, kinda chunky. I think this one conjures up the most revolting image of any reshaping I’ve ever posted. (And yes, I’m throwing up the gauntlet….) Anyhow, there are a few hundred raw hits if you check every conjugational form, but many of those aren’t the target. Examples:

When my daughter told me about gals that ran into the girls’ room to upchunk after lunch, I reckoned it was food poisoning.
http://www.fredoneverything.net/Bulimia.shtml

Hi Tracy, yes I think when they lick their lips they have some nausea—sometimes it leads to upchunking, other times not.
http://www.imom.org/community/lofiversi … 5-950.html

The odor made Shempy feel like he might have to upchunk.
http://phish.com/mikescorner/index.php? … 95&month=7

I can tolerate eggs only in this capacity: hard boiled, deviled, egg foo young (get nauscious, but don’t upchunk), and in food such as cakes, etc.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134016
[“Nauscious” is nice, too.]

So upchunk that into your fucking frappacino
http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse … 47A3782861

Meanwhile, this Infernal Affairs thing makes you upchunk in outward hatred at these new batch of crime touches, this neo-HK Crime Thrillers.
http://blogs.kpbs.org/index.php/movies/ … _departed/

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-10-23 23:49:05)

#2 2008-10-24 00:16:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "To upchunk" for "to upchuck"

patschwieterman wrote:

“To upchuck” means to vomit, throw up. And the result of that process is often, well, kinda chunky. I think this one conjures up the most revolting image of any reshaping I’ve ever posted. (And yes, I’m throwing up the gauntlet….)

Yeah, upchunk is a good eggcorn if I’ve ever seen one; the meaning is certainly there, as is illustrated by the slang term for vomiting “blowing chunks”. Of course, vomiting is one of the most colorfully synonymed terms in English slang: “the technicolor yawn”, “puking”, “ralphing”, “urping”, “driving the porcelain bus”, “losing your lunch”, “tossing your cookies”, etc. etc. ad NAUSEUM!

And I’ve gotta give you credit for ”...throwing up the gauntlet”, Pat; again you show that you are one clever guy/gal/both/neither.

Dixon

#3 2008-10-24 10:52:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

patschwieterman wrote:

I can tolerate eggs only in this capacity: hard boiled, deviled, egg foo young (get nauscious, but don’t upchunk), and in food such as cakes, etc.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134016
[“Nauscious” is nice, too.]

Lusceous. (Lusheous?)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-10-24 10:54:48)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2008-10-25 17:00:20

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Dixon Wragg wrote:

Of course, vomiting is one of the most colorfully synonymed terms in English slang: “the technicolor yawn”, “puking”, “ralphing”, “urping”, “driving the porcelain bus”, “losing your lunch”, “tossing your cookies”, etc. etc. ad NAUSEUM

“Ad nauseum” should be regelated to the musea. (“In memorium” is a similar, common one.)

#5 2008-10-25 18:31:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

“Ad nauseum” should be regelated to the musea.

“Regelated, eh? New word to me. I assume that “regelation”, from the root word “gel”, involves refreezing something that’s thawed.

But seriously—thanks for correcting my spelling, although it took a trip to the dictionary to verify that that was your point. I’ve been misspelling that one forever.

I’m glad I’m not the only picky one here. (I reckon that most members of an eggcorn website, especially the frequent posters, must be picky).

Dixon

#6 2008-10-25 19:11:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

If you aren’t picky, you don’t notice them.

(btw, “regulate” winds up being used, presumably for “regelate”:

Like a symbolic language, the authors claim that clothing can speak volumes about submerged dimensions of experience. As such, they regard it as a deep surface, a facet of existence which cannot be regulated to the psyche’s innermost hidden depths but which actually expresses itself through apparently superficial activities.

Isn’t that rather wonderful gobbledegook?)

#7 2008-10-26 13:51:20

kem
Eggcornista

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2008-10-26 14:07:14

kem
Eggcornista

Your pun on the the word “museum” reminds me to ask something.

Have you noticed how often “museum” is spelled “museeum?” Google estimates there are 12000 English-language web sites with this spelling. While many of these instances may be simple misspellings, they can’t all be, can they? Even factoring in that some literate authors may be diverted by the French word musée, I still come away with a suspicion that the word “see” is exerting some eggcornical influence.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#9 2008-10-26 15:34:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Dixon Wragg wrote:

Of course, vomiting is one of the most colorfully synonymed terms in English slang: “the technicolor yawn”, “puking”, “ralphing”, “urping”, “driving the porcelain bus”, “losing your lunch”, “tossing your cookies”, etc. etc. ad NAUSE[A]M

I’m reminded of Booth Tarkington’s elegant description of what happened to Penrod Schofield’s dog Duke after Penrod fed him a dose of his newly concocted medicine:

All things come from Mother Earth and must return. Duke restored much at this time.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-10-27 13:32:32)

Board footer