Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-13 17:01:24

TRWOLF

Farwarned for fair warned

I originally thought this was just a spelling error, but I found hundreds of google hits using the term. Based on some of the writing styles, I was surprised to read “farwarned”.

Example 1
“My third complaint is much smaller, but still relevant… The accent of speakers in this product use the spanish language accent from SPAIN.—- While I understand this is a convention among some teachers / teaching products, the truth is that barely anyone speaks spanish with the Spanish accent in the US. The “th” sound in place of “s”, as well as some muting of certain sylables) is extremely annoying if you are used to hearing spanish from any of the south/latin american countries. Anyway, just be farwarned.”

Example 2
“We already see too many self-confessed predators in our society go free because of legal machinations. The idea that people are somehow owed to be farwarned and able to hamper a legitimate investigation seems to me to be an infringement of the right of society as a whole to have efficient law enforcement.”

Example 3
“It is my understanding that those who have attempted to tade with this person end up getting ripped off. Just thought you all might like to know in case he tries it on this site, or if any of you happen to see his ads…be farwarned…what sounds too good to be true, probably is.”

Last edited by TRWOLF (2006-06-13 17:02:07)

#2 2006-06-13 17:13:14

TRWOLF

Re: Farwarned for fair warned

I doubt if this qualifies on its own, but I had to laugh at the truth in a few of these warnings related to financial transactions.

“I hate to bring the subject up, but talking about the selling/buying of copied merchandise on AB is not allowed. Just to farewarn you. :up:”

“With one hit kills, 750 bam, then again. bam.. and i garentee there are more people loosing money then making it.
it is just a farewarn ”

#3 2006-06-14 16:32:02

klakritz
Eggcornista

I think ‘farwarned’ and ‘fairwarned’ are both eggcorns of the vastly more prevalent ‘forewarned.’

#4 2006-06-14 16:42:50

TRWOLF

I understand your point. It’s is very possible. I think fair warned (two words) is derived from “giving others fair warning” to justify ones actions, not necessarily early or immediately-prior to some event (fore).

What was the phrase?

Forewarned is Fair warned… or something like that.

Last edited by TRWOLF (2006-06-14 16:44:01)

#5 2006-06-15 12:46:35

beavispants

Growing up, I heard the proverb as “Forewarned is forearmed”. I’ve heard “forewarned” and “fair warning” quite a bit, but “fair warned” seems unfamiliar to me.

#6 2014-07-25 23:07:32

kem
Eggcornista

There are a surprising number of web examples of this double idiomatic reworking: “Fairwarned is fair armed” for “forewarned is forearmed.” Google search.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer