Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-01 08:46:31

Sili

You, sir, are no snowclone!

I didn’t see a subforum for snowclones so my apologies if this is too far off topic.

Reading <a href=”http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20081031_Swatting_attacks_on_fruit_flies_and_science.html”>a critique</a> of Sarah Palin’s derision of fruit fly research, I noticed this trope:

“As a geneticist, I’ve worked on fruit flies in the laboratory for three decades. I know the fruit fly. The fruit fly is a friend of mine. And believe me, Sarah Palin doesn’t know anything about fruit flies.”

and realised I’ve seen that used a lot (frequency illousion!).

Something along the lines of “I knew X. X was a friend of mine. You, sir, are no X.” with X originally a person (for some reason I’m thinking “Reagan” as patient one.)

Is there anything in this or am I just imagining things?

#2 2008-11-01 20:23:45

Ntsimp

Re: You, sir, are no snowclone!

You’re thinking of “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy”, famously spoken by Lloyd Bentsen to Dan Quayle in 1988. And yes, the fruit fly remark is definitely a reference to this.

#3 2008-11-01 21:14:56

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Sili wrote:

I didn’t see a subforum for snowclones so my apologies if this is too far off topic.

Would you like to have a subforum for snowclones? Is there enough demand for one? Let me know – it’s not hard to create one.

#4 2008-11-02 10:54:38

Sili

Chris Waigl wrote:

Sili wrote:

Would you like to have a subforum for snowclones? Is there enough demand for one? Let me know – it’s not hard to create one.

I don’t post often enough – I don’t know if the interest is there. I just wasn’t sure if people talked about them here.

And of course it was Kennedy, thank you. I see from the WP article that ” [...] some variation on Bentsen’s remark, have become a part of the political lexicon as a way to deflate politicians or other individuals perceived as thinking too highly of themselves.”

But it looks like it’s steadily moving out of the politico sphere.

#5 2008-11-02 19:26:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Maybe this would be a good place to plug the Snowclone Database: http://snowclones.org/

#6 2008-11-03 18:49:49

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

That was one of my favorite, favorite moments in debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCWbFFRpnY

Board footer