Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-13 02:32:16

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"all of the sudden" for "all of a sudden"

Here’s the sentence I just ran across: “This is why when you skip breakfast and lunch all of the sudden at 5:00 pm you can’t imagine eating anything but a giant burger and fries”. (from “The Real Deal Behind Diet Pills” by Erin Richards on LiveScience.com)

I know this one has been mentioned more than once on Eggcorn Forum, but it doesn’t seem to have made it onto the Eggcorn List. I know it’s just one article (the) substituted for another (a), but if “one in the same” for “one and the same” can make it onto the list, perhaps “all of the sudden” can too?

Suddenly;

Dixon

P.S. I’m kinda thrilled to be referred to as an Eggcornista here lately. I assume I got that honor because I’ve exceeded a certain number of posts, probably 50?

#2 2008-11-13 04:56:30

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "all of the sudden" for "all of a sudden"

Yes, 50 is the magic number, which reminds me that someone, I think it was booboo, suggested that Joe (jorkel) might be awarded the title of Eggcornquistador on reaching 1000 posts. It seemed a nice idea at the time, and although he’s now well over that number, it still does.
On the the/a question, I think most of us would agree that some rather dubious entries made it onto the database in the days before Chris tightened the procedure, which means we can’t necessarily pluck out an example as a standard.

#3 2008-11-13 12:44:38

kem
Eggcornista

If titles in this forum could be brought into line with roles, I have a few suggestions.

Chris, who created and maintains the forum and manages the technical side, should be “Free Range Egg.”

Patrick, who often has to bring the wilder suggestions made by his unrestrained colleagues into line with the realities of spoken English, should be “Hard Boiled Egg.”

Ken, who I still believe is a publishing corporation and not a person, should be “Golden Egg.”

David, of course, would be ”/e:g/”

Peter and our other posters from the land of Shakespeare could be “Eggs Benedict1,” “Eggs Benedict2,” etc.

Someone should get the title “Sunny Side Up.” How about TootsNYC?

Given my Socratic penchant for attacking assumptions, and for writing this post, I claim the title “Rotten Egg.”

Last edited by kem (2008-11-13 18:42:50)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2008-11-13 16:44:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

kem wrote:

Given my Socratic penchant for attacking assumptions, and for writing this post, I claim the title “Rotten Egg.”

No, Kem, corny or not, you’re a good egg.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer