Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-18 18:18:06

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

It may be surprising what’s esoteric to whom

We eggcorn-hunters tend to rely on our own intuitions as to what is a common word and what is an esoteric one.

I got the following report from a friend:

[An acquaintance] had just come back from a week of jury duty, where she had served on 2 DUI juries. One, they found guilty, the other, not so. She said on the 2nd one, the officer told them that the defendant had failed the field “psoriasis” test, but when they watched the tape from the officer’s cruiser, the jury didn’t think the defendant acted drunk at all. ¶ She used the word “field psoriasis” a couple times—I could tell she was trying to say “sobriety,” but she just didn’t know it.

I suppose that on TV you are likely to hear “psoriasis” several dozen times for one time you hear “sobriety”.

Ps: follow-up on above report:

OK, OK, it was the defendant they found guilty, not the jury.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-11-18 23:11:19)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-20 14:11:42

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: It may be surprising what’s esoteric to whom

I’m not sure why, but this reminds me of my brother’s story about a fellow Army warrant officer who, in a training class was stuck for the word he needed for a moment before finally saying, “in your parenthial vision.”

#3 2008-11-21 08:19:57

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: It may be surprising what’s esoteric to whom

In 1999, my brother had a boss who kept referring to the upcoming “KY2” computer problem.

Board footer