Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-18 22:30:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

"skimp milk" for "skimmed milk"

There are quite a few terms for “low-fat milk,” and a number of them look like they might form a sort of eggcornish “complex”: skim/skimmed/slim/slimmed/trim/trimmed milk. Skim/skimmed milk is well documented and probably the “acorn” here if there is one, but I’ve never had the energy to try and disentangle them.

“Skimp milk,” however, clearly looks like an eggcornish derivation of “skim milk.” Skimmed milk does skimp on the fat compared to whole milk.

There are only about a half dozen hits that seem authentic; the puns probably double that number. Examples:

I drink whole milk too. I find that drinking skimp
milk doesn’t fool your appetite—it’ll just demand
three times as much in revenge for being short
changed.
http://www.nosdiet.com/group/207.html

“If you feel like having almonds for breakfast, go for it,” says Gibbs. “They’re cardio-protective and provide energy for hours.” He also wants women to drink a glass of skimp milk for a dash of calcium.
http://www.cheek2cheek.net/dance_diet.php

I was raised on skimp milk…and every now and then Id get treated to real milk! (whole milk!!) when I went to someone elses house or something.
http://www.skratchlounge.com/lofiversio … t2125.html

#2 2008-11-18 23:08:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "skimp milk" for "skimmed milk"

I like it! Using it is skimping on the fat, as you say. In the past at least, it was also a way to skimp on the food budget. And the connotations of “cheesiness” and miserliness fit for me— I always felt like I wasn’t getting full nutritional value when I was given that kind of watery stuff as if it were milk.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2008-11-19 10:42:22

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

An instant classic and, like the best of them, it’s been sitting under our noses for years – well spotted. Many years ago I worked, very briefly, in a piggery and I believe the piggery-owner was paid to accept skimmed milk which was considered a waste product at that time. But peering at dawn at a lake of milk glittering with bronze powder from the wings of drowned moths remains a visual peak experience which I’d almost forgotten – thanks for reminding me, Pat.

#4 2008-11-24 19:51:06

JonW719
Eggcornista

Skim milk (by FDA legal terms, I think) is not called that anymore. It’s nonfat milk… Not as easily eggcornable! :-)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#5 2008-11-24 20:19:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

JonW719 wrote:

It’s nonfat milk… Not as easily eggcornable :-)

Damn, you’re right. Googling “nonvat milk” yielded nothing relevant, but I did get one hit for “nunfat milk”! But it’s pretty clear from the context that it’s just a misspelling rather than an eggcorn: ”... mum says stead of cuttin down milk u can switch to 1% or nunfat milk… thats wat i did.. an u can mix 2% milk an nunfat milk til u get use to it an then u dont mis 2% no more.”

I’ll toast to that!

Diksun

Board footer