Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-11-09 21:01:23

klakritz
Eggcornista

'impremature' for 'imprimatur'

‘Impremature’ is sometimes used as a modifier for ‘approval’ with the meaning ‘premature.’ As a noun, it’s a substitute for ‘imprimatur’, sometimes with the connotation of preapproval or preliminary approval. About 300 ghits, e.g.,

That group, early on, was seen as one that had the impremature blessings of the
GOP and gave it a leg up.
www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/01/1519200

The Seal is The King’s impremature that protects all those who display It.
www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?s= … rinter&...

Since returning to New York I have recorded three albums under the Mindwire
impremature, most recently, Butterfly.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/elbertlee?cdbaby=dc9e … 94725c1017

the vatican official never said that the books are false, bishops gave their
impremature to them.
www.mylifeafter.net/forums/posting.php? … c98b2a33fc

He didn’t even place, but was clearly an audience favorite (and shortly thereafter was vindicated with the impremature of Cirque du Soleil).
www.juggle.org/discussion/archives/6687.html

They are evidence for Carr’s claim that “New Age ideas infiltrate the church and
appear under a Christian impremature.”
www.angelfire.com/la/prophet1/prayingtoanewgod.html

in fact the US wanted NATO impremature on the mission so badly they finally accepted this fig leaf.
www.conformco.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=2175&st=30

...nativity scene In the city’s display is. . . to place the government’s impremature approval on the particular religion’s beliefs exemplified by the Creche.
www.freeessays.tv/a3212.htm

#2 2010-09-16 21:31:57

EdibleMollyG

Re: 'impremature' for 'imprimatur'

klakritz wrote:

‘Impremature’ is sometimes used as a modifier for ‘approval’ with the meaning ‘premature.’ As a noun, it’s a substitute for ‘imprimatur’, sometimes with the connotation of preapproval or preliminary approval. About 300 ghits, e.g.,

That group, early on, was seen as one that had the impremature blessings of the
GOP and gave it a leg up
www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/01/1519200

The Seal is The King’s impremature that protects all those who display It.
www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?s= … rinter&....

Since returning to New York I have recorded three albums under the Mindwire
impremature, most recently, Butterfly.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/elbertlee?cdbaby=dc9e … 94725c1017

the vatican official never said that the books are false, bishops gave their
impremature to them.
www.mylifeafter.net/forums/posting.php? … c98b2a33fc

He didn’t even place, but was clearly an audience favorite (and shortly thereafter was vindicated with the impremature of Cirque du Soleil).
www.juggle.org/discussion/archives/6687.html

They are evidence for Carr’s claim that “New Age ideas infiltrate the church and
appear under a Christian impremature.”
www.angelfire.com/la/prophet1/prayingtoanewgod.html

in fact the US wanted NATO impremature on the mission so badly they finally accepted this fig leaf.
www.conformco.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=2175&st=30

...nativity scene In the city’s display is. . . to place the government’s impremature approval on the particular religion’s beliefs exemplified by the Creche.
www.freeessays.tv/a3212.htm

Hey, came across this in a google for impremature for a paper on lexical priming. From my understanding of the word, it’s essentially a putting down in the record. I am having trouble understanding some of your usages above.

For instance, your use of the king’s seal being his impremature does not quite gel with my definition, nor does the ‘US wanting NATO’s impremature on a mission’. Unfortunately since this is a bit of a zombie thread, I am not able to follow most of the links that you offered up (Angelfire! Ha!). Could you maybe shed some light on what I’m missing here? Thanks!

Board footer