Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2009-01-23 17:17:36

jorkel
Eggcornista

A SHELL/shadow of one's former self.

A shell of one’s former self
vs.
A shadow of one’s former self

I went to look up this idiom today and was a bit surprised to see the shadow variant listed, but no mention of the shell variant. I do recall hearing both—and both could be technically correct—but I would suggest that one is decidedly idiomatic while the other is a widely used spinoff. Eggcorn or a gray area?

#2 2009-01-23 17:49:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: A SHELL/shadow of one's former self.

Not alike enough phonologically to be an eggcorn, in my judgment. I can’t imagine saying one thinking it was what others were saying when they said the other.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-01-23 21:08:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

I mostly agree David, except under the foggy-recollector scenario in which an utterer doesn’t remember the original but manages to produce something with vivid imagery which is like-sounding enough. One really has to wonder how two similar sounding phrases come into existence.

My other thought is that the change is intentional; Perhaps some struggled with making sense of the shadow and decided to go with a shell instead. Or, perhaps the original was adapted to describe the bombed out “shells” of buildings during wartime; So, in that circumstance, something certainly could be reduced to a shell of it’s former self.

Last edited by jorkel (2009-01-23 21:17:19)

#4 2009-01-23 21:44:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Similar-sounding phrases come about all the time by “normal” syntactic means: we don’t always try just to reproduce clichés that we have heard. Foggy recollections doubtless enter in to those “normal” processes, too.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer