Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-21 03:52:39

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'coagmire/quagulate' for 'quagmire/coagulate'

Coagulation is the change from a liquid to a thickened, semi-solid state and quagmire refers to a similar state reached from the opposite direction. ‘Coag-’ being the pointy end of the word should be the part that means something like ‘damp but thickened’, the remainder indicating noun, verb or adjective function:

What an absolute coagmire the Webbs would have been in had they actually agreed- and funded- a design competition. i am just glad to know that in the end …
tomeblen.bloginky.com/2008/07/23/a-closer-look-at-the-centrepointe-concepts/ –

As a result the people were thrown in the coagmire of obscurantism and jingoism. With the anti-Quadiani ammendment in the Constitution followed by …
www.chowk.com/interacts/8715/2/0/0

Anything south east and west is a coagmire of trucks and cars by 4:00 every day. Trust me. In 10 years when the new 540 is finished it might be different. ...

By this point I have worked myself up into a pretty sticky coagmire of guilt, resentment, self loathing, and unworthiness. “That’s it??? We’re done? ...
alivemusic.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html

Mire and quag both mean the same as their joint effort quagmire, but ‘quag’ is a relatively obscure word and despite being at the pointy end this substitution seems somehow less eggcornish:

In the blood (universe) the cells started to quagulate and created the galaxies. Then the organelles in the cells became thick and formed the solar systems. ...
forums.legendro.net/index.php?showtopic=154506&st=20&start=20

You cannot leave raw vegetable oil in your engine or the fuel delivery system, because as SVO cools it will quagulate or harden making it very difficult if …
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25269.asp – 21k – Cached

Once diagnosed they are easy to treat… with warferin and tinisperin(needle daily in the belly to quagulate your blood for approx 10-12 days until the …
hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-280656.html – 65k – Cached

Platelets are necessary to quagulate the blood which keeps you from bleeding to death. It was a rough night for both of us. Neither of us slept. ...
fightingwithdavid.blogspot.com/2008/07/down-down-down.html – 73k – Cached

#2 2009-02-21 08:02:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'coagmire/quagulate' for 'quagmire/coagulate'

Excellent. Despite the obscurity of quag by itself, I’m sure there are millions of us who the moment we see quagulate will recognize it as the first element of quagmire and see how appropriate it is.
I have never (that I remember) heard the leftmost/first-spoken part of a word called the “pointy end”. What’s the skinny on that?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-02-21 13:59:55

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

I dunno, I don’t see it as the pointy end. I see it as the blunt end, maybe rounded. Wider, more robust. The other end of a word is the tail… kinda tapers off… more gracile, maybe is actually pointy. Of course, I’ll defer to the linguists for a final determination of which end is blunt and which is pointy. There are also probably some words that fly tail end first. Canards.

#4 2009-02-22 10:46:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I acknowledge that I should have made the effort to find a more appropriate alternative but “pointy end” sprang to mind and I thought I might just try it out. I suppose the pointy end, like an arrow, is that which enters first, with the shaft and the flight providing additional information. Words, like trout, face upstream into the eye-flow and I’m pretending to be alongside them, in the water; Craig is on the bridge, looking down and from there, sure enough, they’re teardrop shaped with the broader head facing the flow and the slim tail going with the flow…

#5 2011-10-17 10:18:17

burred
Eggcornista

This morning on the radio, I heard someone pronounce quagmire as “quogmire”. Sort of like “clogmire”. There are 20 unique hits for this.

Niyas is a desperate man! He has fallen into a clogmire, where he finds it difficult to get out.
Forum comment

You’d want to keep an eye on that thing, might have some alien life form gestating in amongst that clogmire.
Screen clutter

The us is in deep trouble and yet the whole world will be entrenched in the clogmire of world issues and debt.
Youtube

The locals paved the streets for the horse and carriages, to prevent a clogmire after any rain.
Aussie Nature blog

#6 2011-10-18 16:53:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Good catch, Tocayo.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer