Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-28 21:58:39

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Attended for intended

Could be just a slip or typo, could be just a non-eggcornish malapropism, but I spooted this and felt it had vague eggcornish possibilities:

”$39 is a good price and I have to say I’m sure the dongle can be used for many useful things outside of its attended task.”
http://forums.bsodtv.org/Airview-t499.html

I don’t think I can really explain what I think the imagery is very well though, because it’s another one of my insomnia nights and I can’t see or think too well… but in general I get the feeling of “attended task” meaning it’s doing what its supposed to do, being where its supposed to be.

Tried to search for others of that phrase but the net is flooded with other meanings of that word combination. Checked for “attended purpose,” “attended use,” and one other I forget, and same result, there’s too much noise in the signal… ”...attended purpose driven churches” for example.

Then tried “attended recipient,” and struck paydirt:
“I discovered all the emails I had sent that contained attachments weren’t being received by the attended recipient. ”
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0 … 52&start=0

And more like that.
So anyway for what its worth. Im going night-night.

#2 2009-03-01 18:52:23

Sandi

Re: Attended for intended

I have had people I work with question texts which refer to an object’s attendant features or attendant purpose. They are unfamiliar with this more (old fashioned?) use of attendant, yet instinctivley seem to want to replace it with intended.
While this differs form your examples I can see how in both cases the person is groping for a more familiar term.

Board footer