Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-03-09 21:25:50

Raymond Chen

workaround » walk around

I have three citations for this. The first is from private email, so I can’t provide a link.

The walk around we put in place may not work reliably.

The writer is from an Asian country, so L/R confusion is a contributing factor. However, this is a consistent error, not a slip, and the phrase “walk around” makes sense in its own way.

The second citation also appears to be from an Asian writer:

I attach a new patch for ocfs based on your suggestion to walk around the bug in JBD before it is fixed in kernel. http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-d … 00334.html

The third citation appears to be from a French-African writer:

Walk-around / untidy fix that works:... A neat walk-around if to shut off tht box alltogether and put a login link that calls /user for everyone. http://drupal.org/node/55364#comment-136178

#2 2009-03-09 23:49:03

kem
Eggcornista

Re: workaround » walk around

Looks to me like a real eggcorn. It introduces new imagery, and it’s a plausible substitution, especially in non-rhotic dialects of English.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-03-10 18:45:33

jorkel
Eggcornista

I can find just one example by embedding the word into a likely phrase like “suggest a walkaroung”...

Tm – SitePoint Forums
I can only suggest a walkaround – try copying/pasting your text from Notepad. That’s what I sometimes do to avoid pasting the text with “embedded” formating.
www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423029 · Cached page

#4 2018-12-02 13:40:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A response to the SuperHolly video on bloopers, by someone handled Polux Saurus:

You’ll love this malapropism from a former coworker! We speak Spanish but working in IT we use many English words, one such is ‘workaround’. Another coworker needed to write it down and was asking what the correct spelling was. This person said “it’s ‘walk around,’ like instead of getting directly to the issue you walk around it and get to it from another side.” LOL she even had an explanation.

And a perfectly good explanation. Perp confessions are the gold standard.
Also non-Asian, for what that’s worth. (The L/R confusion seems unlikely to have much influence here, unless there is an L/R graphic confusion: walk has no l in its pronunciation.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-12-02 13:47:36)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer