Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2005-11-08 14:42:53

klakritz
Eggcornista

'muslin' for 'muslim'

Muslin is a fabric. (The word traces back to Mosul, Iraq, and has no etymological connection to ‘Muslim.’) Just to confuse things, the veil or hijab worn by devout muslim women is often a piece of muslin, making this common substitution especially eggcornish when adjacent to talk of women and their veils.
Examples:

The word “hijab” is also frequently used specifically to mean a headscarf worn by a Muslin woman.
fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Hijab

Florida recently allowed a Muslin woman to have her driver’s license photo done with her hijab on.
www.backwash.com/link_details. php?con_id=f39ab4c816a9b798d7f9d2d87745d422

The girls who piloted this hijab demand have already been appraoched by immans … The whole hysteria around this was orchestrated by the radical muslin group ...
ehermit.conforums3.com/index.cgi?action=display& board=religion&num=1095857885&start=0

Every girl who claims to be a muslin MUST wear the hijab…www.ukipforum.co.uk/search. php?search_author=Carl+Faulkner

#2 2005-11-10 22:53:16

Dadge
Eggcornista

Re: 'muslin' for 'muslim'

Also vice versa. In Mothercare a sales assistant showed me the “muslim squares”.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa … baby&meta=

Adrian

Board footer