Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-07-02 08:20:16

Larsraggio

"be shed of" for "get shut of"

Guess the eggcorn variant can take place in regional dialects as well . . . a use forum writer, discussing growing gourds, referred to her father burning off large patches of gourd plants ,”but my dad tried to burn them off his property when he was alive but just couldn’t be shed of them”
I am familiar with country talk and “getting shut of” something is to get rid of it, be done with it, especially in matters of love. Guess “be shed of it” is an eggcorn from further back up in the hills?

#2 2006-07-05 19:19:48

Sandi

Re: "be shed of" for "get shut of"

I do not not know if this is another regional variation, but in New Zealand we say “get shot of”.

A quick Google found twice as many examples of the “shot” version than the “shut” version but I’ve not delved deeper to look for commonalities regarding which version is used in particular regions.

Board footer