Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-04-18 15:29:30

burred
Eggcornista

"Iditatrod" for Iditarod

One of the Dishonorable Mentions in the 2008 Bulwer-Lytton contest begins, “I heard her husky breathing as she came up the stairs, breathing exactly the way a sled dog breathes after competing in the Iditatrod ...”

322 ghits for Iditatrod

The Iditarod is an annual dog-sled race along the Iditarod Trail which spans Alaska. The name originates in local native languages, either as “clear water” or “distant place”. It is interesting to see that some have started to incorporate trod (A. Saxon) in the name, presumably in reference to treading the path.

But the winner is:

PBS Weekend Explorer:
Ride a train into the very heart of Alaska’s wilderness, dog sled with a competitor of the world famous Ididatrod, ride horses into a beautiful high mountain pass …
(http://www.pbs.org/weekendexplorer/alaska/)

#2 2009-04-18 16:35:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Iditatrod" for Iditarod

Wonder if anybody parses it (mentally) all the way as “I did a trod”? (None googled, and the cases of “I did a rod” all seem to be purposeful or irrelevant.) Ididarod (8k ghits) is likely just a phonically-correct spelling in most and quite possibly all its non-purposeful instances.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-04-18 16:45:26)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-04-18 16:48:58

burred
Eggcornista

No, I suppose no one would logically go that far. I hesitated before placing this one in Contributions, even for all the Iditatrods. No evidence that anyone recognizes the significance of the trod in there, it was my reading that gave it significance. Pat, could you move this to “Slips”, please?

Last edited by burred (2009-04-18 17:50:23)

#4 2011-05-07 11:17:12

kem
Eggcornista

Time again for that Alaskan dog race with the funny name. This time it’s the word “road” that wants to be lead dog (and if you ain’t the lead dog, as the wag says, the view never changes).

Tennis forum: “Sounds like you and other guys who value mindlesss endurance over skill might be better off competing in the Iditaroad dog sled race instead of tennis.”

Picture forum: “there was also present the other ‘crazy’ man who does the Iditaroad in Alaska, name’s Roberto Ghidon”

Blog entry: “In the United States is held every year, the mythical Iditaroad, in memory of 1925 when a group of dogs covered in rolling over 1092 miles to deliver diphtheria serum developed in the Inuit village of Nome.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer