Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-07-09 16:26:56

Kirk

futile attempt/effort > feudal attempt/effort (/t/ flapping category)

Found an interesting one here

The food was great and the activities were even better. The girls took fourth place in volleyball and the boys made a feudal attempt at basketball.

This sense of is normally written with “futile” (obviously [“fju45=] for these speakers as is common in the US, not the other variant [“fjut_haI5]) unless the attempt was somehow specifically feudal in nature. I see no reason in this context to assume “feudal” was really meant but the semantic connection with “futile” isn’t too hard to make. Since “feudal” can carry connotations of backwardness and primitiveness I can see how a “futile attempt” might be reanalyzed as a “feudal attempt.” Here are some other likely candidates (where the context isn’t likely referring to anything “feudal”):

From this site

It doesn’t have the mass appeal and subscriptions like some other web analytics blogs out there (Eric) , but I will share never less. I eventually would like to have multiple systems running on my site to compare and contrast the differences in the systems, but I am told that this is a feudal effort. If there are any vendors up for the challenge please contact me, I think everyone will benefit from this exercise.

From this site

Avril Lavigne has stated on every website about her and and has had MTV to say it for her “ordinary, Anything but.” Obviously a feudal Attempt to say look at me I am so very very very Hardcore…

From this site

This is my feudal attempt for an idea to communicate schedules of when to visit(talk to, etc..) grandma.

From this site

Throwing that flag did not change the score on the board. In fact he was almost fined for delaying the game. A feudal effort to delay the end of the game and another loss. Like I said the Patriots will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Board footer