Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2009-05-25 05:05:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

"jolted lover" for "jilted lover"

The origin of “to jilt” is unknown; it’s a cant word that first appeared in the late 17th C, and – to my surprise – the OED says that it was originally applied only to women (as the jilters) when meaning “to capriciously cast off a lover.” Today it pops up most frequently as part of a few nearly fixed phrases (jilted lover/boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband, etc.) and therefore seems ripe for eggcorning. To suddenly find yourself a jilted lover can certainly be a “shock,” a real “jolt” to the system. “Jolted lover” alone gets 90 unique hits, so I suspect that all uses of the reshaping must range well into the lower hundreds. Examples:

He sounded like a jolted lover who was putting the best possible spin on an affair that went wrong fast.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/08/0 … o-rangers/

Sakwa (Kang Yi-Kwan, 2005) is a nice Korean romantic melodrama featuring Moon So-ri (Oasis, Lee Chang-Dong, 2002) as a jolted lover who buries herself in a consolation marriage.
http://archive.sensesofcinema.com/conte … -2006.html

As she turns towards the camera, her face transforms from that of a smilingly caricature to the tearful visage of a jolted lover, and but for a moment the film’s misogynist formula is rebutted.
http://books.google.com/books?id=9ku7BK … t&resnum=7
[I retyped this, but the “smilingly caricature” is in the original. The passage is from Queer Asian Cinema by Andrew Grossman, p. 253.]

My girlfriend told me that when that happens, a superstition is that the owl is sending a message from a jolted lover and is coming to put a hex on you, or trying to lure you outside to laugh at you!!!!!!!
http://www.tbd.com/group/50/discussion/ … ent-965389

#2 2009-05-25 14:39:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "jolted lover" for "jilted lover"

I love it!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-05-25 16:32:58

kem
Eggcornista

A great eggcorn, a great metaphor.

#4 2014-01-19 21:50:40

kem
Eggcornista

The names of Adam and Eve can stand for their respective genders. But the sons of Adam and daughters of Eve feel a bit sheepish about turning this exalted founding pair into gendered references in rough-and-tumble, often sexually explicit street talk. For this less noble kind of chit-chat, English speakers have recourse the folk mythology of Jack and Jill. Jack has loaned his name to a variety of everyday terms (tools that replace human labor, self-pleasuring, playing cards, etc). Jill, as Pat notes above, has been used to describe females with popular social careers. These self-employed Jills have given us, it appears, the word “jilted.”

Jilting, a capricious abandonment of promises, leads to chilly relationships. The past tense of the verb, in the minds of some web authors, makes this cold-heartedness explicit.

Soap opera blog: “Phillip is a chillted lover”

Blog entry: “you cheated…you chilted somebody”

Book comment: “After ten years the chilted lover, Steve, now all of a sudden sees how pathetic Dalton’s life looks”

Apple operating systems forum: “Ok, I feel chilted. The website has my plan at 9.95, but through the iPad app it’s 14.99”

Car manual review—title of post: “Feeling a bit Chilted

Board footer