Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-14 04:32:56

MLR

'stooped in tradition' for 'steeped in tradition'

One can imagine that if you were ‘weighed down’ by all the metaphorical tradition you’re carrying on your shoulders, you might be ‘stooped’ in it. I.e. cowering from the weight.

It has only 621 occurrences on Google, but seems to ring true for me. Wondered what anyone else thinks?

Regards

#2 2010-09-16 03:59:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'stooped in tradition' for 'steeped in tradition'

I think it’s a interesting find, MLR – welcome to the forum by the way – and certainly eggcornicable. There are also many hits for ‘stooped in history’ which also suggests being bent by the weight of the past. ‘Stooped with history’ seems to have a little more conviction, although I suppose some usage could be literal rather than eggcornish:

It is stooped with history and is over 300 years old. It has links with Jane Austin and royalty. Upon entrance there is a lobby area with a cloakroom …

The Cathedral City of St Albans is just 20 minutes away in the car and is stooped with history and makes a fantastic day out.

Stooped with History dating back to Roman times with an abundance of local festivals and fairs throughout the year you can guarantee the Algarve has …

#3 2010-09-17 00:11:02

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’ve had steeped>>seeped on my “to do” list for a long time, but I’ve never been able to convince myself that it isn’t just a single-letter-omission typo. But it would make sense if intentional: seeping is arguably part of the process of steeping. Whatever it is, it’s common; for some reason, a number of the first few citations I found seemed to be Canadian.

Calgary Stampede Rodeo – An Event Seeped in Tradition
http://www.ticketfinder.com/blog/index. … o-tickets/

Nova Scotia is a magnificent place, seeped in tradition and culture. filled with good feelings and down home music and dances.Read more: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/345372_t … z0zlBwRYwi

This place is seeped in tradition, and who can blame them?
http://www.underthehighchair.com/2007/0 … -club.html
[On a Montreal restaurant called the Beaver Club]

#4 2010-09-17 05:46:07

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Stepped in tradition and mythological legacy, Kashi is the ‘original ground’ created by Lord Shiva and Parvati.

The evening had been deeply stepped in tradition, with formal speeches by the spouses, their son, and a series of songs, poems and heartfelt …

A Hall stepped in tradition and history inherited from the Oxford and Cambridge halls of residence, Raffles Hall is nestled in a valley on …

In the world of athletics, certain sports are stepped in tradition, and often this comes at the expense of science. A great example of this is how coaches …

Sounds like something you got on your shoe

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-09-17 05:47:18)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2010-09-17 07:33:21

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Playing for the Coledale Rosebuds, a team that I have been assured is steepled in tradition, I received my inaugural taste….

Steepled in tradition. Our training gives us the finest, most elite regiments in the world.

We are successful, proud, steepled in tradition and history. And we have always moved with the times.

the unique atmosphere that is CrossGuns Snooker Club’ a club steepled in tradition and character’

They seem like the type that would be angry for a loong time just cause they’re so steepled in tradition, you know?

Semantics? Anything to do with ‘dreaming spires’ and other olde worlde buildings? Or spelle checke?

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-09-17 07:33:49)

#6 2010-09-17 07:44:04

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

And:

Waxers owner Don Bremner then accepted on behalf of the Waxers, a club steep with tradition and history, a plaque of appreciation from Mr. Scarpitti.

Today American glass is leading the way with elegant and exciting products. Steep with tradition and mixing the old with the new for a lasting value. ...

I consider myself a Modern Boy Otaku – even if I come from a career path that’s steep with tradition and conservative values, ...

The overall look is classic and sophisticated, steep with tradition, with a focus on rich and vibrant colors…

‘steep/soak’ has nothing much to do with ‘steep/acute’ so I think this counts as an eggcorn, or a near-miss at least, where ‘steep with’ means ‘high in’.

#7 2010-09-20 08:51:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

Orchestra house
Under the leadership of Michael Kaufmann a new concert venue has been created in the Saalbau, a building sleeped in tradition.

Might be a just a sleep of the tongue.

Board footer