Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-19 16:16:07

creacher

"peace and mind" for "peace of mind"

From an advertisement for a townhouse development: “SpringRidge offers the peace and mind that comes from new construction, including . . . .” I don’t think this qualifies as an eggcorn, because I don’t see any logic in the usage, but I don’t know what label the Forum likes to give such mis-heard phrases.

#2 2011-02-19 16:58:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "peace and mind" for "peace of mind"

I suspect that this falls into the realm of what linguists call an innovation: in this case, a speech error that the speaker would disavow with the chance to edit the text. In this case, a conjunction is slotted into the space of a preposition that’s not too different in meaning. There are hits for other errors based on preposition swapping as well: your peace on mind, your peace or mind, and your peace in mind. I think we need to make a list to facilitate the taxonomy of these creatures.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-02-19 16:59:03)

Board footer