Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-02-19 22:16:07

creacher

"peace and mind" for "peace of mind"

From an advertisement for a townhouse development: “SpringRidge offers the peace and mind that comes from new construction, including . . . .” I don’t think this qualifies as an eggcorn, because I don’t see any logic in the usage, but I don’t know what label the Forum likes to give such mis-heard phrases.

#2 2011-02-19 22:58:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "peace and mind" for "peace of mind"

I suspect that this falls into the realm of what linguists call an innovation: in this case, a speech error that the speaker would disavow with the chance to edit the text. In this case, a conjunction is slotted into the space of a preposition that’s not too different in meaning. There are hits for other errors based on preposition swapping as well: your peace on mind, your peace or mind, and your peace in mind. I think we need to make a list to facilitate the taxonomy of these creatures.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-02-19 22:59:03)

Board footer