Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-06-10 00:02:02

burred
Eggcornista

"Deflock" for defrock

It surprises me that this one is not yet in our chester drawers. Before it was a dress, a frock was first a monk’s habit. Deflocked, as a substitute for defrocked, is a fairly amusing understanding of the situation of pastors literally divested, not only of their vestments but of their congregation. One more for the reliquary.

Hester did a good job of keeping this nearly 25yr comic vet surprised. Can’t say I saw the “twist”, if you call it that, of the deflocked Priest having the deformed child.
Comic book forum

a satirical story (approx. 90,000 words) centred on Windy Mountain, a fictional town in Northern Tasmania, which is home to a collection of eccentric characters – from a deflocked priest to a disgraced town drunk
Book ad

do you suggest that these deflocked priest should not partake in communion?
News comment

Martin Luther was not a thief as some claim, a deflocked priest, a nut case, a renegade
Religion forum

Since Steve believes that HE is so knowledgeable of the Catholic faith….then one can assume that he continues to be a PRIEST but more likely a deflocked priest for being an underground member of LAMBLA…
News comment forum, I think

Njoya was deflocked some time in his career as a church leader meaning he is not that realiable
Online community forum

In the deliberations which followed, Gathuna was deflocked by the Patriarchate on grounds of insubordination and lack of spiritual insight.
History of indigenous churches

He didn’t last long there before he was asked to leave. From there he went up to Boston where from what I hear he was deflocked.
Priests gone bad forum

I do heed of the image offered by the Rev. Terry Fox, who was deflocked when his fire and brimstone railings became too much for his parishioners.
Political blog

#2 2011-06-11 21:37:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Deflock" for defrock

Wow—an instant classic. This moves right into my list of favorite eggcorns.

And I also like the merging of “to heed” and “to take heed of” in that final citation. I found a number of other instances, though there is of course the possibility that this is the result of simple omission of “take.”

#3 2011-06-13 11:33:38

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Deflock" for defrock

I’m tagging it for our linked chain of religious eggcorns.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer