Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-08-18 15:11:44

engineroomblog

'Brown flakes' for 'bran flakes'

One of the contestants on the BBC TV Show ‘Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum’ expressed her surprise that bran flakes are actually called bran flakes and not ‘brown flakes’ as she had always thought. The contestant was called Dina and the eggcorn came to light in episode 5. Obviously, bran flakes are brown so the eggcorn does make sense.

Um, I have written about the eggcorn on my blog:

http://engineroomblog.blogspot.com/2009 … lakes.html

The episode is also available on the BBC’s iPlayer, at least at the moment. I can’t tell you exactly where the eggcorn occurs because I’m not sure I want to sit through the whole thing! Anyway, here’s the link for that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … Episode_5/

#2 2009-08-18 17:45:48

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'Brown flakes' for 'bran flakes'

Welcome to the site, JD, if this is indeed your first post (you are welcome even if it isn’t). A good start. “Brown flakes/bran flakes” is an eggcorn in my book. Seems like the confusion might be fairly common. I’ve listed three more examples below.

You’ve noted other eggcorns on your blog. I invite you to share them here (especially “power phrase/paraphrase” noted in your April entry ).

A twitter: “As for as I’m concerned, it will always be EATABIX and BROWN FLAKES in this house, none of that sugary devil shit.”

Recipe for healthy diet on an Irish government site: “1 cup brown flakes (high in fiber);1 cup low fat milk add 1 small spoon”

Post on a training site: “My diet is usually 2000 calories a day;Breakfast- brown flakes ( and a banana; Lunch- 3 eggs on wholemeal bread ”

Last edited by kem (2009-08-18 17:46:33)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-03-08 18:18:24

burred
Eggcornista

Haha, brown flakes. One of the best. A relative might be brawn flakes. Not for the weak. It might be a blend of bran and brown.

This is my daily diet on good day, ie a day starting with all-brawn flakes
diet advice

Breakie : Wheatabix – Brawn flakes – Toast
R: I hope you’re mixing some brain flakes with the brawn flakes.
Fitness diet

I am consuming Rice, brawn flakes,wheat for carbs
Body culture

today has been good i.m.o i have brawn flakes for brekkie
weight loss

I have searched high and low for brawn flakes.
Huff Post Food column comment

Last edited by burred (2014-03-08 18:22:07)

#4 2014-03-10 09:11:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And how about this variation:

3.5 ounces of brand flakes per cup
1 qt of brand flakes equals 14 ounces
Q&A site

3 Norman Rockwell Kellogg’s Brand Flakes Posters
Goodwill online auction

They’re all healthy,but if you want the healthiest.Brand flakes and choco cereal aren’t….Corn flakes and cereal with dried fruit (raisins) are the healthiest
another Q&A site

Calories in Kroger Generic Brand Flakes
calorie counting page

#5 2014-03-10 20:08:11

burred
Eggcornista

That brand of flake tastes familiar: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?id=4613.

Board footer