Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-24 04:43:56

mattbarros

"convenient store" instead of "convenience store"

I’m not sure if this counts. A friend of mine recently caught me over g-chat. I think it’s phonologically motivated: since we have a nasal, voiceless fricative sequence, we get an excrescent voiceless stop ([kÉ™n’vinjÉ™nts ‘stÉ”r]).

Last edited by mattbarros (2010-02-24 04:44:58)

#2 2010-02-24 07:28:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "convenient store" instead of "convenience store"

Hi, Matt, and welcome. This is another of those grammar switches (like the recently discussed iced tea ) that, in my view at least, can constitute a kind of eggcorn but are not the “best” kind. Still, a store that is convenient is not the same concept (though it easily can be applied to many if not all of the same class of entities) as a store that sells conveniences or that is there for your convenience.
The switch between the adjectival/specific nominal ending – nt(s) and the abstract nominal – nce is quite common, I think: I have collected quite a few instants/instances of it myself, for instants:

His patients knew no boundaries.

Learn what the top compliant issues facing the extended enterprise are today. Learn how enterprises are dealing with these issues and the emerging standards.

and so forth.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer