Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-09 11:07:45

jgarfield

"phantom this" for "fathom this"

I have a beloved friend—a non-native English speaker—who says, “This is more than I can phantom.” It works for me—phantoms are elusive and lack substance. What could be harder to grasp than a phantom?

#2 2006-08-16 12:04:00

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "phantom this" for "fathom this"

Google counts: Aug 16, 2006
1050 “cannot PHANTOM”
570,000 “cannot fathom”

By one definition, a phantom is something of continual dread or abhorrence. I’d say this constitutes a genuine eggcorn.

Examples:

Real Articles – Free Content and ArticlesToday most people cannot phantom such a primitive existence . Communication is the link that allows our world to function at its torrid pace . ...
real-articles.com/ezineready.php?id=378 – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

COTSE | Open Letter re: RIAA | John HolsteinI cannot phantom the thought of allowing someone else to by-pass existing laws, just for the sake of “checking for copied music”. ...
www.cotse.com/helpdesk/documents/editor … etter.html – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

For Parents of TeensYou may be shocked to learn your 15-year-old has been in a committed cyber relationship for 8 months and simply cannot phantom the attraction. ...
www.cyberangels.org/teens.html – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

#3 2006-08-28 19:04:59

doc9x

Re: "phantom this" for "fathom this"

I have recently run across this eggcorn as well. Here is the text I found in the wild:

“Those few require a different approach yet for some reason I can’t phantom people declare the exception as the rule.” http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.ph … 93&page=12

Board footer