Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-04 21:02:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

Christma and the euchrist

Thanksgiving is over in Canada and is still to come stateside. There is another communal supper of thanksgiving known as the Eucharist. This word comes from the Gk. eukharistia, for “thanksgiving, gratitude”, and is associated with Jesus Christ through the Lord’s Supper. The same PIE root that became Eucharist is present in exhort and hortatory. The direct connection to the Christian church makes it a short skip to Euchrist, as if it had to do with the good or the truth of Jesus Christ.

THE CATHOLIC EUCHRIST vs. THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNION
http://anna.xanga.com/7752653/item/

{picture of} Euchrist Lily
http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/50001

Another confusion with the name of Christ is possible in charisma. This too came from the PIE root *gher, “to desire, like”. This is a recent reintroduction to English from German, however, denoting the possession of the (divine) gift of leadership, though it is used more widely today to indicate general crowd appeal.

Political leader appeal
Harper is an ineffective lifeless leader, whereas Day in my opinion has christma that’ll caputre Canadian supporters.

Concert report
and the lead singer is f@*king amazing! She has christma you wouldn’t believe!

Actor review
Pitt will never be a great actor bec because to really shine he relies on a good script or director, yes he has christma and a good look

#2 2010-11-04 21:43:26

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Christma and the euchrist

Charisma is from German? Surely from Greek! (It’s a Biblical Greek word.) Conceivably through German, but I doubt that.
—Later, OK, the very specific meaning “ability to sway crowds, charm” may be a “reintroduction”, as you say, that came through German. But I submit that the word was still around in English, and the specialization to a particular kind of gifting would be more a semantic influence than a reintroduction.
Anyway:

dont worry about it…merry charismas and happy new year!! ...one kiss. Posted Dec 28

(and lots more hits)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-04 21:50:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-11-04 21:52:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

It is very possible that I was not skeptical enough, or misquoted my source – you know I mainline the online etymological dictionary. Here’s what it has to say:

charisma
“gift of leadership, power of authority,” c.1930, from German, used in this sense by Max Weber (1864-1920) in “Wirtschaft u. Gesellschaft” (1922), from Gk. kharisma “favor, divine gift,” from kharizesthai “to show favor to,” from kharis “grace, beauty, kindness” (Charis was the name of one of the three attendants of Aphrodite) related to khairein “to rejoice at,” from PIE base * gher- “to desire, like” (see hortatory). More mundane sense of “personal charm” recorded by 1959. Earlier, the word had been used in English with a sense of “grace, talent from God” (1875), directly from Latinized Greek; and in the form charism (pl. charismata) it is attested in English from 1640s.

Later: charismas. Amazing.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-11-04 21:55:15)

#4 2010-11-05 00:03:56

kem
Eggcornista

A good addition to our list of religious eggcorns.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer