Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-17 21:16:23

CatherineR
Eggcornista

"Hunt" for "haunt"

From a student essay: “My father told me about mistakes he made in his youth that came back to hunt him.”

This is perfect, I think, and even creepier than “came back to haunt him.” Haven’t heard of any hunted houses, though.

#2 2010-11-20 22:38:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "Hunt" for "haunt"

Very nice find.

It makes one rethink this lyric in a 1980’s song…

Berlin Take My Breath Away Top Gun SoundtrackTake my breath away, take my breath away. Watching every motion in this foolish lover’s game hunted by the notion somewhere there’s a love in flames. ...
wn.com/Berlin__Take_my_breath_away_Top_Gun_soundtrack – Cached

#3 2013-01-19 12:07:36

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Just came across a wonder-us combination of this one with “Mr. Meaner”.

Will a mister meaner hunt me for life i will like to know will a mister meaner stay on my record for life

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2013-01-21 04:34:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Catherine, your discovery of “hunt” for “haunt” in the verb form made me wonder if “hunts” might sometimes be substituted for the noun “haunts”, as in “They were hanging out in their usual haunts”. So I googled “usual hunts” and, after sampling 60 of the 570 hits and screening out the references to hunting etc., came up with an estimate of around 60 of the eggcorn “hunts” for (noun) “haunts”, such as:

I tried all the usual hunts but i’m pretty sure i’ll be able to smell her.

my usual hunts are gone after i took a 2 year hiatus from the massage scene.

Jarrett was net to be found in his usual hunts…

If Somalis were voting outside of Lewiston or their usual hunts, then they were probably repeat voters swarming in the hundreds to cast multiple …

No bites but I did mark some rocks in the usual hunts.

I think the hunts/haunts confusion is partly caused by the fact that, when we talk about someone being or not being in their usual haunts, it’s often in the context of hunting for them.

Board footer