Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-20 10:26:44

xxxs

Inferior excruciating ligament

For interior excruiate ligament.
No citation, other than to a friend who had his sugically repaired.

#2 2011-02-20 18:39:46

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Inferior excruciating ligament

Do you mean “anterior cruciate ligament?”

There are two web references to “anterior excruciate ligament” and a few more to just “excruciate ligament,” though a few of these are puns.

“Excruciate” for “cruciate” has eggcorn potential, considering the pain caused by a torn knee ligament.

Interesting verb, “excruciate.” It’s pretty much obsolete as a transitive verb and a past particle, as you can see by the Google n-gram diagrams. The present participle, however, seems to be recovering from a midcentury lull. Notice that “excruciating” begins to recover about the time late-night TV begins.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-02-20 18:42:00

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Inferior excruciating ligament

Welcome to the forum, triple-xs. Your friend isn’t the only one who thinks the pain of this ligament can be excruciating.

Phil said that the injection had hit the anterior excruciating ligament!!
http://ginny-letyourlightshine.blogspot … stacy.html

his teammate, Jamie, tears an excruciating ligament in his leg during a reserve game
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Goal!_%28film%29

But I hope you don’t mind if we include you in that inventive group, because the ligament in question is the anterior cruciate ligament. You’ve in fact spawned what we call a double yolker, by calling it interior as well, which is anatomically correct, and indicates clearly where the pain is coming from. I’m euphoric when I discover that I’ve been incubating an eggcorn for years; I hope you take it the same way!

Ha- beat me by 3 minutes.

Last edited by burred (2011-02-20 18:43:31)

Board footer