Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-06-28 22:17:33

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"instance" for "incident"

This confusion was mentioned in passing by DavidTuggy on a thread about co-instance/coincidence. You can see it here:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3505

Here’s the instance I encountered: “I never really thought about this instance until much later…” (from Beefheart: Through the Eyes of Magic by John “Drumbo” French) It seemed pretty clear from the context that “incident” was what was really meant.

If it’s an eggcorn, I’m afraid it’s not a very exciting one, due to the abstractness of both words’ meanings not creating any interesting images or jokes, and to the very similar definitions of the two words. But I thought I’d share it just for the record, so to speak.

#2 2011-06-29 05:31:06

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "instance" for "incident"

It strikes me as a potential blend with elements of ‘instant’ and ‘incident’ and ‘incidence’.

#3 2011-07-07 17:37:02

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "instance" for "incident"

I see it as just a mistake. Over the past 5 to 10 years, I have often heard “instance”, “incidents” and “incedence” used interchangeably. Becuase of this common confusion, I have heard “incidences” for “incidents” a number of times. The meanings of “instance” and “incident” can be pretty close, so it’s not surprising that people get them confused.

Bruce

Last edited by yanogator (2011-07-07 17:38:17)

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer