Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-07-13 19:49:59

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Scissarian" and "scissoring section" for caesarian/cesarian

We had our first baby through scissarian and as a common point of view if one gets her first baby through scissarian on the next baby she “have to” go thourgh the same procedure of scissarian.
Yahoo questions

Q: when your were born was it through scissarian or natural birth?
A: scissarian
Afghan forum

when my chihuahua gives birth, how do i help her? whats better and safer? scissarian or natural birth?
Dog advice forum

Recently I was reading an article in newspaper which was discussing about the current trend in parents asking doctors for their delivary (by Scissoring) at an aspicious time. No doubt this is to get a child of promising future by giving birth at a time when all stars are positioned to bestow a good ome and this is only after the due consultation with astrologer.
Choosing your birth time to ensure greatness

Government of Nepal has decided to make delivery service free across the country from 14 January 2009. The cost covering normal and scissoring section will be reimbursed to all health institutions accordingly by Ministry of Health
Public Health announcement: Free delivery

We conveyed to her relatives that the normal delivery might cause some complexity and advised for a scissoring section operation.
Delivery room drama

In Julius Caesar’s time, Roman names had three parts, the prename, the clan name and the “cognomen”, or family name within the clan. The cognomen was either a nickname or an honorific applied to describe achievements*. According to Wikipedia, the significance of Gaius Iulius Caesar’s cognomen was probably in dispute even in his own time. Four possibilities outlined in the dubious writings of the Historia Augusta were, first, that someone in his pedigree had been a member of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Statesmen (from the L. caesaries); second, that the first Caesar had killed an elephant in battle (caesai in Moorish), a possibility favoured by Gaius himself by the evidence of the pachyderms adding weight to Roman coins of the era; third, that that patriarch had had steely grey eyes (L. oculis caesiis); and finally, that a forebear had been cut from the womb (L. caesus pp. of caedere “to cut”), a procedure applied to save the infant, but that was fatal to the mother.

The final apocryphal explanation is the one that seems to have led to the adoption in the early 17th c. of the term caesarian section. These days, in many parts of the world, there are more sea sections performed than natural births. Canada’s rate was 21% in 2001 and rose to 26% in 2005. World leaders in scissoring delivery are, oddly, Rome at 44% (85% in some clinics), the U.S. at 32%, Brazil at 35% (up to 80% in private clinics), and China at 46% as of 2008 (all stats from Wikipedia).

Scissors have an eggcornical history, too. The route through O.F. cisoires leads back to the same L. caedere of Caesar. But the modern French wield ciseaux; where did the adherent s come from? From a 17th c. confusion with M.L. scissor “tailor,” from pp. stem of L. scindere “to split.” Whatever the root, the very idea of scissarian section has always given me the swiveling fantods.

* There is room for hidden eggcornation in the word ‘cognomen’, if one imagines that there’s any cognisance or recognition going on in there.

#2 2011-07-13 20:03:01

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Scissarian" and "scissoring section" for caesarian/cesarian

Ave, Avis! An excellent write-up for an excellent find.

#3 2011-07-17 13:07:50

burred
Eggcornista

I inadvertently used a variant spelling of caesarean above. There’s an interesting discussion of the difference among _-an_, _-ian_ and _-ean_ endings (which unfortunately doesn’t go into _-arian_ territory) here.

Here are some scissor sisters. Picking these few hits up, at homeopathic dilution amid the puns, hair bands and hair salons was pain skating. To understand the first one you must know that there is a vodka cocktail popular in Canada called a Bloody Caesar. The second one provides an interesting new visual for a seizure.

Favorite beverages:
1. Virgin Mary <3 <3 <3 <3 (a bloody Scissor without vodka)
Life experience quiz

making sure he get every prescribed medications, especially the ones that keep him from having an epileptic scissor.
Desert Dust magazine

#4 2011-12-11 04:40:32

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Just a few minutes ago, I had one of those eggcorn “Aha!” moments. I was holding a pair of scissors and suddenly the phrase “scissarean section” popped into my mind, and immediately I knew that the sound and meaning connections were strong enough to virtually guarantee that the eggcorn actually existed. Sure enough, a quick search in the Eggcorn Database found this really fun recent discussion with examples of a few interesting variations on the theme. Nice work, Bird-man!

Board footer