Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-28 08:58:10

burred
Eggcornista

Sent on a wild goof trek

The Adam and Joe’s 6 Music show has a segment on eggcorns in its June 18 incarnation, Looks Like A Bombsy-Tit (the bit starts about a third of the way into the podcast. Following some gas humour). They start the bit with a metal eggcorn jingle. Listener Paolo, from London’s cruel centre, sends in an account of someone angry about being sent on a “wild goof trek”. Then an explanation of a bombsy-tit and a collection of blidioms. The goof chase looks like a winner.

Sitting in the carpark at #Glastonbury while others are off on a wild goof trek freezing their bits off queuing to get in.
Tweet

For the past month, the country has been on a wild goof chase over the debt ceiling issue.
Blog

It is a clear waste of precious time to listen to him and following his “advice” will either lead one to a worthless wild goof chase (as reported above) or be simply ineffective and likely detrimental.
Blog comment

one night, night dispatch sent me on a wild goof chase
Trucker forum

An internet search sent me on a wild goof chase and didn’t yield anything
Model airplane forum

There was a great roaring and smashing of glass as the team chased their quarry out of what was left of the Hall of Mirrors. Another wild goof chase through the Carnival ensued, attracting a crowd. “It’s the running of the fools!” someone in the audience shouted.
Fan fiction

#2 2011-08-28 10:33:29

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Sent on a wild goof trek

Really funny. I also like “bombsy tit”—but perhaps more of a mishearing than an eggcorn.

“Wild goose chase” is ancient. The OED credits Shakespeare with the first connection between wild geese and chases. With a (slightly) different meaning than the modern idiom.

The while/wild confusion noted in our database also comes into play. Over a hundred examples of “while goose chase:”

Software help forum: “Did you actually read my question? Seriroulsy, better not posting any reply at all, then to send me on a while goose chase.”

Web journal entry: “I guess that the majority of the moisture is heading to the bamboo, which hopefully will stay put and not start spreading all over my back yard and making me go on a while goose chase to try to contain it.”

Car forum: “. So I don’t know if it was the “missing link” to my electrical problems or something else that I accidentally broke on a while goose chase.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-08-28 16:41:45

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’ve wondered for years whether most people think of the idiom as referring to a “wild-goose chase” or a “wild goose-chase.” The former makes more sense to me, but the stress most people give to the different words suggests to me that many are thinking of the latter.

“White goose chase” appears to be a regionalism – all three of the hits below are from Nigerian sites:

While advising Governor Fayemi to concentrate on the business of governance instead of embarking on a white goose chase which will not do the state and the people any good, Oni said;
http://www.sharpedgenews.com/news/2011/ … eged.shtml

Also, building a 5-Star Hotel in Abakaliki for now is surely a white-goose chase since hotels are built as a business venture.
http://thewillnigeria.com/opinion/6704- … LECHI.html

he knows he is telling lies and if he goes to the tribunal, it is just a white goose chase.
allafrica.com/stories/200705250399.html

#4 2011-08-29 04:47:13

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Hence, his goof stepping was parody/mockery, much in the same way people oft do it to riot cops

Aye ,hope the Duetches goof step over Rooney and co

And there are hits for “goof bumps”

I must admit, this trailer gives me goof bumps

It still gives me goof bumps now, and it has been over 14 years ago.

This is my ALL TIME favorite scene in a musical – give me goof bumps!!!

PS before anybody else has the same idea:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1340

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2011-08-29 07:02:11)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer