Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-01 02:30:57

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"where or where" for "where oh where"

This showed up on my Facebook wall (a post from a friend): “Where or where have my headrests gone?”

Googling “where or where” yields 560 unique hits, the vast majority of which are the eggcornish-seeming usage (replacing “where oh where”). This one appears to be brand new to the Eggcorn Forum, and I think it’s a real eggcorn, or something like it.

#2 2011-09-01 12:16:58

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "where or where" for "where oh where"

I agree, Dixon. In this case it seems like the semantics of “or” might intrude.

“Or” for “oh” is probably quite common. Here it is with “oh dear:”

Ford car forum: “ Or dear me thats horrible.”

Sri Lanka forum: “ Or dear me ! Just noticed”

Telephone call abuse/information forum: “ Or Dear me I don’t wanna go to jail!!! ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-09-01 18:18:27

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "where or where" for "where oh where"

So, it looks like in the cases you cite, kem, that “or” for “oh” is just a non-eggcornish sound confusion. That may very well be true in most, maybe all, cases. Googling “or say can you see” found (only) 2 similar cases:

(from a rap song) “Whoaahh, well alright, again I say or say can you see
The puppeteer pull the strings of you and me from the White House”

(from a discussion of Christina Aguilera’s botched performance of the national anthem) “00:13:03 If it’s that simple, just give me the first verse.
00:13:09 >> Or say can you see—>> o say.”

I still think that some uses of “where or where” for “where oh where” could be eggcorns, considering that “where or where” could mean “this location or this location or…”—thus there’s a plausible meaning-connection.

Board footer