Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-03 18:58:04

burred
Eggcornista

Richard Leterer collection

A bit of empirical support for some of the manglings from Richard Lederer’s piece cited by Juan today in Dixon’s post on asparagus, over in Eggcornology. Most of these are not eggcorns, I don’t think, just funny malaprops and blends. True eggcorns might be “roses of the liver” and “heart populations”.

Her contraptions started again, and again I was pushed aside but this time with a beautiful, baby girl in my arms.
Fan fic

I don’t see what the confusion, is they are two totally separate diseases. One is an abnormal reposnse to a deep bruise, wherein the body “heals” the area by mineralizing it. [...] The other disease is some crazy heretical disease that is progressive and incurable. Totally different.
Wikipedia discussion page

Existential (psycho)therapy may not be the best fit for a mother going through post-mortem depression!
Counselling advice

I have heart populations especially when i walk alot. So i was wondering if there is a way of getting a wheel chair fro free?
Yahoo questions

My ADD created pretty serious heart populations, from the anxiety.
Wiki questions

The thing they stuck in her hand and various side effects she was so uncomfortable that she took it out. It included unwanted weight gain, one of our friends developed high blood pressure which was directly related to it because after trying lots of other treatment and failing to bring it down, the high pretension corrected itself after she had it removed. Coitos interputous, commonly known as withdrawing and ejaculation outside the virgina has recently failed us miserably.
Natural family planning

By the way, any mention of cirrhosis always brings back a memory from my internship year. I had begun to review the patient record out of the ER when I noted the patient’s admitting diagnosis on the front sheet. The admitting clerk had neatly typed in “Roses of the Liver”.
Medical blog

I’m going to have them do some non-evasive surgery on my lower back, endioscope to clean up my scare tissue around the nerve root, i believe it is pressing against the nerve.
“Pinchbeak Spine health forum”:

She persistently blamed her size on undrainable nymph glands that had subsequently ballooned her bum to a size 20, while her top half maintained a size 14.
Blog stories

OK, that last one is not first-person, but funny nonetheless.

Edit: This is unfortunately not the first time I’ve called Mr. Lederer a Leterer. Fortunately, I’m not alone:

Richard Letterer is the author of the acclaimed “Anguished English” series and is probably the most quoted author on internet joke lists.
Amazon review

Last edited by burred (2011-09-03 20:02:13)

#2 2011-09-04 02:19:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Richard Leterer collection

burred wrote:

...post-mortem depression

I understand that’s the hardest type of depression to recover from.

Re: Richard Lederer. He’s a very enjoyable speaker who gives his audience a new appreciation for the English language, and is a pleasant fellow to visit with. He’s written many amusing books on the language, and writes a very funny and clever regular column in the Mensa Bulletin.

#3 2011-09-04 05:15:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

David B wrote:

True eggcorns might be “roses of the liver” and “heart populations”.

Seems to me that high pretension and virgina and perhaps even contraptions are likely to be eggcornish. I don’t doubt that a lot of users perceive “high (blood pressure)” in hypertension and something to do with virginity or lack thereof in the virgina (which I also have recorded as the virginia). And pre-partum contractions are complicated affairs. (For some people I think a contraption indicates [perhaps rattletrap-ish?] flimsiness or instability; for me the notion of jerry/jury-rigged complexity is stronger.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-09-04 05:17:27)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2011-09-04 08:23:42

burred
Eggcornista

OK, David, you’re right, I’ll buy high pretension, assuming no connection to pretensions, and contraptions. Juan has submitted high per today, it may be that all hy and hi- words are vulnerable. Virgina, I should have pointed out, was entered by Juan, and made my ‘best of’ list. It’s not in the Lederer piece, though virginia is and a writeup on that would be timely.

I was remiss in not including the acorns, and in not separating Lederer hits from stray interesting bits that came along with them. Acorns not cited above: heritable, post-partum, palpitations, cirrhosis, invasive, and lymph. “Endioscope” looks like an esculator; I emboldened it for its whimsical connection to ‘rear end’. I liked coitos interputous for connections to kudos (or Cheetos?), pute, and the adjective ending -ous (BTW, who hasn’t thought coitus interrupt us?). I’ve come across scare tissue before, but I seem to have deleted my records of it, or rather, it healed itself.

Lederer’s great omnibus can be an inspiration for further eggcornery if you let it. For instance:

i too am a victim of abdominal pain and mine has gone undiagnosed but from this, i have had many, many tests done. if you do not find anything, i would ask my doctor about a possible idle hernia or a torn hip ligament.
Health forum

Acorn “hiatal”; no credible “high idle hernia” unfortunately.

They also increase your heart rate by a lot and u can develop popitations.
Diet drugs

The dark ages we’re illuminated by God’s promise that the word would never die! God bless the Catholic Church for its monks who probably got carbo tunnel syndrome through out time and the middle ages for copying books involving , Math,? Logic, Poems, music, science
youtube comment

carbo tunnel syndrome im thinking is also a sign of when humands walked on all fours and then became upright
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7 … rthed.html

Admittedly, there’s no evident connection to carbs here.

#5 2011-09-04 16:32:16

patschwieterman
Administrator

A nice collection, burred—I was thinking of going through Lederer’s piece and making a little florilegium for my own use, so you spared me the trouble.

The other Tocayo wrote:

Seems to me that high pretension and virgina and perhaps even contraptions are likely to be eggcornish.

“Virgina” I can understand. But the connection with “contraptions” seems pretty unclear to me. And “high pretension” sounds like something more likely to afflict 23-year-old grad students than 53-year-old CEOS; for me, the aptness of “high” isn’t by itself enough to balance out the glaring inappropriateness of “pretension” in the phrase.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2011-09-04 16:35:52)

#6 2011-09-04 17:59:41

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

patschwieterman wrote:

...for me, the aptness of “high” isn’t by itself enough to balance out the glaring inappropriateness of “pretension” in the phrase.

I would agree, except for one possibility: someone could be thinking in terms of the prefix “pre-” (meaning “before”) + “tension”, i.e., anticipatory tension, or anxiety, which fits fairly well with hypertension, meaning-wise.

Board footer