Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-01-31 18:45:42

kem
Eggcornista

capsual, capsule

The word “capsule” may be a hidden eggcorn for some people. The etymology of the word has nothing to do with “cap,” either the popular headgear (“baseball cap”) or the metal piece removed to consume a bottle of soda pop (“bottle cap”). Gel capsules, however, do appear to have one part that “caps” the other part.

By the way, what’s up with “capsual?” A huge number of web sites spell “capsule” this way – perhaps hundreds of thousands. Is this some attempt to spell phonetically a British pronunciation of “capsule?”

Last edited by kem (2012-01-31 18:48:34)

#2 2012-01-31 20:25:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: capsual, capsule

Capsuals sound more sensual. And they save one from contact with vial tasting medicines. Here’s a logical riff on capsuals.

try a couple of glasses of water with some code liver oil captuals and that wakes you right up.
yahoo questions

#3 2012-02-01 16:51:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I was about to mention ‘encaptulate’ which nicely illustrates the idea of a capsule having somehow captured its contents but find that David beat me to it. I was also surprised to learn that AmEnglish does not rhyme capsule with granule or module for example. Both of the latter frequently appear as granual and modual too.

#4 2012-02-01 18:36:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Speaking of encapsualation made think that this variant might be out there: encupsulation, i.e. being cupped, if not in your cups. Lots of cupsules being consumed too.

An excellent fitting boot designed to encupsulate and support the tendon.
http://www.saddleland.com.au/products.p … display=81

Board footer