Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-01-31 12:45:42

kem
Eggcornista

capsual, capsule

The word “capsule” may be a hidden eggcorn for some people. The etymology of the word has nothing to do with “cap,” either the popular headgear (“baseball cap”) or the metal piece removed to consume a bottle of soda pop (“bottle cap”). Gel capsules, however, do appear to have one part that “caps” the other part.

By the way, what’s up with “capsual?” A huge number of web sites spell “capsule” this way – perhaps hundreds of thousands. Is this some attempt to spell phonetically a British pronunciation of “capsule?”

Last edited by kem (2012-01-31 12:48:34)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2012-01-31 14:25:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: capsual, capsule

Capsuals sound more sensual. And they save one from contact with vial tasting medicines. Here’s a logical riff on capsuals.

try a couple of glasses of water with some code liver oil captuals and that wakes you right up.
yahoo questions

#3 2012-02-01 10:51:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I was about to mention ‘encaptulate’ which nicely illustrates the idea of a capsule having somehow captured its contents but find that David beat me to it. I was also surprised to learn that AmEnglish does not rhyme capsule with granule or module for example. Both of the latter frequently appear as granual and modual too.

#4 2012-02-01 12:36:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Speaking of encapsualation made think that this variant might be out there: encupsulation, i.e. being cupped, if not in your cups. Lots of cupsules being consumed too.

An excellent fitting boot designed to encupsulate and support the tendon.
http://www.saddleland.com.au/products.p … display=81

Board footer