Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-01-29 12:41:33

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'Janice-faced' for 'Janus-faced'

I heard this on the radio the other day and thought it might be of some interest. It is some time ago that the planet Uranus became Urine-us rather than yr-Anus and I suspect that something similar might be at work here. I’m sure we’ve come across such intra-Lehmans, for example Miriam taking over the family business in the 80s, but can find nowhere more suitable to park this…

Yesterday was Janice-faced, deceptively like spring, it lifted my spirits from the winter guck.

The way I translate it is, that the pain is janice faced: on the one hand it is your warning signal of overdoing it, but on the other hand, it is your …

Laughter and a beautiful smile always has been her clever way of being janice faced.

“The final phase of compiling the dictionary didn’t faze Miriam Webster a bit even though it was the most complex and difficult one.”

#2 2012-01-31 14:29:41

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'Janice-faced' for 'Janus-faced'

Appropriately posted in Janiary.

#3 2022-03-29 08:53:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Here there is a cartoon, by Mark Parisi, in which you see the planets in order from the Sun outwards: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Doug, Neptune, and (even) Pluto. The caption reads: “No one was really surprised when he changed his name.”
It is quite striking that the same name has two scatalogical mis-takings (punny or tending towards the eggcornish according to whether they are purposeful or passive) corresponding to two different more-or-less standard pronunciations. I’m still junior-high or middle-school enough as to find them funny.
Peter, I’m not getting the Miriam family business reference. How does that one go?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-03-29 11:20:46)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2022-03-29 15:47:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Peter, I’m not getting the Miriam family business reference. How does that one go?

Ahh, that would be the dictionary business, when Miriam (Merriam) elbowed her way into Webster’s, as in my last example.

#5 2022-03-29 17:52:10

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Duh! Sorry! (And what fun!)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-03-29 17:55:58)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer