Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-03-27 21:54:57

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Mere culpa" for mea culpa

“Mea culpa”, as an admission of guilt, comes from the Catholic Confiteor, the ritual Latin confession. A mere culpa doesn’t rise to quite the same level of contrition. Looks nonrhotic.

my Bad
mere maxima culpa
Conservative forum

and three months later

Thank you I meant no offence, I’m not very bright, can you tolorate someone like me?
mere maxima culpa
Same conservative forum

Thank god I’m an atheist, no mere culpa for me.
Religion forum

OK…uh…(gulp) I was wrong. Mea gulpa.

There is a chance Oprah will invite him back on the show to exlain himself, to apologize, to break down and cry maybe on national TV and tell her and viewers why he felt he had to lie about his life story. Some people connected to the movie are hoping Oprah will give him a chance, not to redeem himself, but to explain himself, in a much anticipated mea gulpa.
Oprah is fooled

He was a Cato defending himself; for 40 minutes he held the House breathless, and at last sat down, but not before he had wished his successor better luck, and burst into tears. I have never been so moved by a speech. It may have been only a Mea Gulpa; but to me it was more
Memoir, 1935

go go go…and don’t look back! and thanks for this mea gulpa!
Huffing Post, Response to apology

I could care less about Obama’s snorting in HS. He ‘fessed up. Still waiting on Dubya’s mea gulpa.
Soccer forum

mea gulpa = my fault
Latin terms flash cards

#2 2012-03-28 10:26:33

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Mere culpa" for mea culpa

Mea gulpa! One of the best religious eggcorns we have seen.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer