Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-25 21:53:35

burred
Eggcornista

"perils" for pales

This was entered as a first perp confession on reddit. To peril in comparison would be to risk paling.

I said “that perils in comparison” until this past summer.
http://www.redditgadgetguide.com/r/AskR … on_a_limp/

Hen is not alone.

The creators, talon and johanna allude some to believe it means “no boundaries,” but that’s a lie. We just use No Boundaries as a way of life, it perils in comparison to the true meaning.
Opaque Urban Dictionary entry for n.b..

I too saw the film in Houston and it is incredible! Rose does a fantastic job in it, but she truly perils in comparison to the lead, Anthony O’Brien.
Indie sports film review

I do have a collection of various hardware which may appeal to some, but most likely perils in comparison to other collections on the list…LOL
IT barter offer

#2 2012-04-26 06:37:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "perils" for pales

Pearls too are quite pale.

Check out top 10 fundraising tips and hear more perils of wisdom with our full fundraising guide. You can also chat to fellow travellers about your fundraising …

I gave the fawn some perils of wisdom like look both ways before crossing any street. But I guess it was too much for it and when I turned my …

#3 2012-04-28 17:01:46

David Bird
Eggcornista

I liked this parlous orthography so much I went out and dug up some more.

One year I really spent up big and got my wife a black peril necklace
Ingrates

Her jewelry was a black peril necklace with ruby stud earrings.
fanfic

Despite the eponymity, I don’t think that switching pails for pales constitutes a pail. It might mean “rejects, cans, dumpsterizes” the comparison.

Hes a real butthole surfer. He just pails in comparison to any other re character and he has seemed to be more of a joke character to me in re4
Resident Evil game review

The unadulterated quality of modern mustaches just pails in comparison to those of yesteryear.
Adulterated mustaches are best

I am thinking of whether to publish any of my undergraduate essays on this website, they will pail in comparison to literally every other published work though..
Essay share site

Another sign of not measuring up: flailing.

Gonna leave it for a while til I have another playthrough, although I don’t wanna play campaign on any other game, just flails in comparison to what I’ve just witnessed.
Gamer forum

Oh, this guy meets my standards! Ah, the next six guys just flail in comparison to that June guy.
Online love story

There is surely a vast pale host of “Xs in comparison” out there. But no “pails of wisdom”, regrettably.

#4 2012-05-04 08:35:27

burred
Eggcornista

Eggcorns form a vast net that unites disparate threads of the language in unexpected ways. It is not an exaggeration to aver, as an eggcornista, that eggcorns are holding the world and our minds together. At least here in the nation of Eggcornistan. Another example arises today in the marriage of two current forum threads, this one and Behold a pale-faced lawyer going beyond the pale.

Now, my problem for my client is this: If this Tribunal really is neutral and my client is presumed to be innocent, why is a letter from anybody setting out prima facie evidence against Paul Kagame—why is the Tribunal condemning that person unless the Tribunal itself takes the same attitude and position as the present government in Rwanda that he is untouchable and that any criticism of him is beyond the peril?
Rwanda trial transcript

Well, OK, that is a transcript and so it doesn’t count. The silicon translator was having a bad day. A line down is this:

So, how can we be assured that this Tribunal— and my client be assured that he is getting a Feuiller trial

which might have been a reasonable effort to transcribe fair had he been speaking French.

There are some real hits, too.

Good for AZ. They seam to have a lot of things right.
I live in Illinois and these criminals pillage the treasury every day. It is beyond the peril. The corruption runs so deep even the Feds are fearful to wade in.
Outrage forum

Hang your heads in shame! You have been tarnished by your kith, and the fact one of your piers could get on the pitch and attack a player is a disgrace. I hope the club is heavily fined and perhaps the F.A could come up with a relevant punishment like expulsion from next years competition. I have a hatred for Several teams and lots of players, but that was beyond the peril. DISGUSTED
Football outrage

Last edited by burred (2012-05-05 20:13:57)

#5 2012-05-16 16:28:12

David Bird
Eggcornista

Some of the pale host.

Don’t know if Sting realizes this but he needs The Police. Two of his solo records worth a dam Soul Cages/Ten Sommoner’s Tales…. everything else impales in comparison.
Pop fan site

LEON IS MY FAVE!!!! FAVE FAVE FAVE FAVE FAVE!!!!!! CHRIS BAILS IN COMPARISON TO LEON’S AWESOMENESS1!
Gamer site

As quality as “30 Rock” is, it’s overall arching structure often hails in comparison to “Parks and Rec.”
TV show fan

Use to use CoverGirl’s foundation for oily skin, but it ails in comparison.
Infallible never fail makeup

Investments have been made by Saudis to companies that were once affiliated with the Bush family but never directly to any member. This wails in comparison to the amount of money the U.S. Government has given the Bush family over the last few decades.
Economics essay

Board footer