Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-10-20 08:41:36

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Crutches and Crunches.

I was listening to someone saying “on crutches” and idly thinking that the t is flapped or tapped or something to a d-like sound with the tongue pressed against the top of the mouth in a very n position.

(Bear in mind I studied all that alveolar ridge stuff 35 years ago so forgive the imprecision)

Anyway:

Forgot to mention he’s on crunches for his right leg

keep in mind he’s on crunches from his knee surgery

doctor said I could leave the hospital as long as I’m on crunches

So now I’m on crunches and in a hell of a lot of pain and have to get to all these places to organise a visa,

The semantics are a bit fuzzy!

#2 2012-10-20 19:21:53

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Crutches and Crunches.

Ooo, nice one. Also out there, etymological simblings: He was on crotches. I was on crochets. More, like crunches: I was on crashes. She was on crushes. I was on crunchers. He was on crushers.

Last edited by burred (2012-10-20 19:25:43)

#3 2012-10-20 22:26:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Crutches and Crunches.

You have to clutch on pretty hard to your crutches. There are a few dozen hits of this one.

For seven months I was on clutches (both hands). [...] In October 2010 the meds i am taking start showing positive results. I was able to walk without clutches.
Spondylosing Ankleitis

Board footer