Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-10-20 03:41:36

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Crutches and Crunches.

I was listening to someone saying “on crutches” and idly thinking that the t is flapped or tapped or something to a d-like sound with the tongue pressed against the top of the mouth in a very n position.

(Bear in mind I studied all that alveolar ridge stuff 35 years ago so forgive the imprecision)

Anyway:

Forgot to mention he’s on crunches for his right leg

keep in mind he’s on crunches from his knee surgery

doctor said I could leave the hospital as long as I’m on crunches

So now I’m on crunches and in a hell of a lot of pain and have to get to all these places to organise a visa,

The semantics are a bit fuzzy!

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2012-10-20 14:21:53

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Crutches and Crunches.

Ooo, nice one. Also out there, etymological simblings: He was on crotches. I was on crochets. More, like crunches: I was on crashes. She was on crushes. I was on crunchers. He was on crushers.

Last edited by burred (2012-10-20 14:25:43)

#3 2012-10-20 17:26:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Crutches and Crunches.

You have to clutch on pretty hard to your crutches. There are a few dozen hits of this one.

For seven months I was on clutches (both hands). [...] In October 2010 the meds i am taking start showing positive results. I was able to walk without clutches.
Spondylosing Ankleitis

Board footer