Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-12-17 15:08:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

Look what turned up in the Petri dish

Monsieur Petri was an assistant to Robert Koch when he invented the Petri dish in 1887. Here are some interesting attempts to express the Petri dish in more familiar English terms: the pea tree dish; the pee tree dish (!), the petty dish, and the peaty dish. See also jorkel’s even farther out there peachtree dish. I guess the petty dish might be the closest of the bunch to eggcorn territory.

There are many times that I’ve kept Lucille home from daycare to allow her another day to recover. It seems to help my brain and her body to get another day away from the pea tree dish of daycare.
At least she didn’t say pee tree

Algebra Review Problem: Miss Brinkman has done an experiment. She originally started with 200mg in her pea tree dish sample, and she noticed that after 3 hours the sample had doubled. If this trend continues, how much will be in the sample after a day?
Why Johnny can’t read

Dr Alexis Carrel was able to keep chicken cells alive for over 30 years in a pea tree dish.
Inspirational

Worse, they crammed into a single room leaving no space for comfort. “The little gem of a guesthouse, which we later called the orphanage before renaming it pee-tree dish room of death, will give me nightmares for the rest of my life”, she says.
Peace Corps memories

For dry heat thermolysis, 62.5 mg moxifloxacin and 125 mg of prednisolone were mixed for 30 minutes in glass petty dish with spatula and placed in oven at 105°C for seven hours.
Methods in chemistry

You can’t compare a petty dish of sperm to when its inside you, they’re not just out in the open like “hello I’m a sperm”
Do the gonuts need foil hats

he said one of the biggest downfalls of humans is the inability to think small. What if we are microscopic organisms inside of a peaty dish, and other life forms are studying us. It really got me thinking
Gamer forum

#2 2012-12-17 16:51:33

larrybob
Eggcornista

Re: Look what turned up in the Petri dish

Wikipedia notes that a Petri dish can be used to grow “small moss plants” in addition to culturing cells. Though I couldn’t find any examples directly linking moss and “peaty dishes”

#3 2012-12-17 17:19:11

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Look what turned up in the Petri dish

I think the pee-tree dish is a spelled-out-letter interpretation of Petri. There’re lots of these out there. I’m guessing they have no idea what a p tree is.

To my surprise, the Nickel got extraordinarily hot. Too hot to touch, and I melted several plastic p tree dish before changing to jars.
Home cold fusion experiments

Board footer