Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-02 17:05:42

larrybob
Eggcornista

novovirus, novavirus << norovirus

It’s the time of year when people catch new illnesses, and what could be more novel than a newly-mutated winter vomiting bug? Researchers often mention discovering a novel virus (perhaps if you recently received an electronic reading device as a gift, you should make sure it’s not infected with one of those.)

National Heath System comment board: “I have now had what appears to be Novovirus for 4 weeks.”

Article by doctor: “Novovirus (“Stomach Flu”) (Cruise Ship Disease)”

Health forum: “Has anyone had the Novavirus?”

Perhaps in addition to being new, it also makes one eject matter like a stellar object? Not sure if this is an intentional pun or not:

Weightlifting forum: “I’m pretty sure it’s that nova virus that’s been going round mate. Kidneys feel like they’re gonna explode!! ”

#2 2013-01-02 20:06:35

larrybob
Eggcornista

Re: novovirus, novavirus << norovirus

Also known as the nono virus (perhaps related to a slang term for private parts?)

Answer forum: “Is it possible to catch the Nono Virus twice within 6 months?”

Headline: ”’Vomiting Larry’ Helps Doctors Battle Nonovirus”

#3 2013-01-02 21:46:59

burred
Eggcornista

Re: novovirus, novavirus << norovirus

Run for the hills, the entire web and even the scientific literature is contaminated with novovirus! It’s so new it hasn’t even made it to the list of known viruses. Single-stranded RNA viruses like the norovirus have huge mutation rates, explaining the frequent single letter substitution introducing novelties like the novovirus. Also presents as the Nora virus (devastating to traditional marriage roles) and the Norway virus (on Norwegian cruise lines).

Health Officials confirm the presence of Nora Virus on island
January 4, 2012
The Ministry of Health is urging residents on island to remain vigilant in the wake of confirmation that a recent virus which has stricken an increased number of persons is indeed the Nora virus.
Montserrat radio alert

One bad thing about the cruise is my roommate and I both caught the Norway virus. If you ever go on a cruise, make sure you wash your hands before and after you pick up your food. That way if someone else does not wash their hands, you will be covered. I sure hope I never catch the Norway virus again.
Useful but insufficient hygiene advice on the Norwegian Star

BTW, I liked the idea that the nova virus goes nova. Apparently part of the nastiness of the novovirus is that it goes aerosol when a passenger does the technicolor yawn on board. So in a big dining room, in rough seas, when the inevitable happens, there is a ground zero that can only be defended against with a full biohazard moon suit.

Note that there apparently is a Nora virus that infects fruit flies. If this is not an Annie Lehman, it’s an incredibly bad name for a virus. Don’t forget we have already seen the no walk virus which is another member of the novovirus family.

Last edited by burred (2013-01-03 10:00:10)

Board footer