Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-05-24 21:51:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A little eerie < a little leary (+ weary < wary, eird)

Here’s a mondegreen for you: even though we were friends and our babies played together, she was a little eerie of letting me pump extra breast milk for her baby.

My mom also wants to buy more baby stuff in a few days but I’m just a little eerie of her spending money and something going wrong)

I was a little eerie of getting close to the edge, seeing as it is a 700 foot fall to the rocky, sharp, ocean below. [a rocky sharp ocean is an interesting image too …]

I’m a little eerie of pet insurance just because a lot of the conditions that they don’t cover and it varies for different animals

I don’t why that wouldn’t work but then again I’m little eerie of trying it out with off chance it would take out a circuit board in the camera.

I love chinese food, but my hubby and i are always a little eery of chinese restaurants. We’ve had some bad experiences

At least sometimes an eerie experience will make you a little leary (/leery) of experiencing it again. We surprisingly often use the same word for what causes an emotion and the experiencing of that emotion; e.g. the experience is weird, and so I feel weird. Or the food is healthy (=healthful), and so am I if I eat it. It is fearful, and so am I.
Somewhat related:

I was weary that I might be pregnant before we left, but chalked it up to it taking a while for my hormones to get back to normal after weaning Joel.

his fabled party draws hotel guests, other Vegas visitors and even locals — so be weary of the long lines to get in — yes, even if you are staying at the Hard Rock.

I always am weary of new drugs, as they can exaggerbate IBS [exaggerbate is a nice blend …]

Conceivably some might be pronouncing this like the wear in wear a sweater , so it might be a misspelling rather than a misunderstanding of wary, or a blend of wary and leary .
Also a potential short-side blend (which are surprisingly hard to find) or else an omission typo:

I did it again with proper answers and suprise suprise got 100% gay, but the eird fact is, i am actually gay LMAO.

I am not a Doctor and if your period stops completely or you notice anything eird happening with your monthly visitor, I urge …

I’ve always thought of myself as a closet romantic that isnt afraid to do something eird and out of the norm, so i would prefer to suprise rather than divulge,

The feeling of deja vu is really eerd.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-05-24 23:25:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-05-24 23:21:42

kem
Eggcornista

Re: A little eerie < a little leary (+ weary < wary, eird)

“Little leery”—> “little eerie” A great syllable reanalysis eggcorn.

Speaking of reanalysis—Last month I came across an interesting discussion of “Rothschild,” the surname of the famous nineteenth-century Jewish banking family/firm. The name in German is “rot Schild,” “red shield,” and it is pronounce by Germans as such. The German name, however, uses in its first syllable the old “th” spelling for the “t” sound (i.e. “roth” instead of “rot.”), and this tends to mislead English speakers. To render the family’s surname in English, we borrow the “s” from “Schild,” attach it to the “roth,” pronounce the “th” in “roth” as a voiceless dental fricative (cf “THunder”), and parse the remnant as the English “child.” The result is “Roth’s child.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2015-09-27 11:28:26

kem
Eggcornista

Re: A little eerie < a little leary (+ weary < wary, eird)

I was reading a journal article on Populism and came across this quotation from the 1895 Dakota Ruralist.

Even at the expense of being called a heretic, we are opposed to permitting the Jews through Baron Rothchilds[sic] to continue crucifying Christ by oppressing His people.We concede that they are just as selfish, relentless, and cruel as they were 1900 years ago and that is why we so earnestly protest against permitting them to control the commerce and industry of this nation.

Notice the missing “s” in Rothschild? I hadn’t thought about it when I did the previous post (above), but the missing letter is another piece of evidence that English speakers really do find a “child” in “Rothschild.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer