Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-07-27 12:06:06

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

mongrel hordes

We’ve had war-mongrels but I didn’t find this one in the archives. Many usages look likely to be advertent (e.g. in gaming contexts, though even then some may take straightforwardly what another has said or written lateral-interdental-lingually), but probably some aren’t.

Defeating the Mongrel hordes.

I met with some very interesting historical re-creationists and learned how to fight with a broadsword, a cutlass, a scimitar, and with dual short blades. It comes in handy when the mongrel hoards are flowing over the city walls, but otherwise is a useless (but pleasant) diversion.

I stood there in that holy spot and prayed to baby jesus that the mongrel hordes of skeeters did not suck me dry

(hoards < hordes is very common, of coarse. There is likely semantic motivation/confusion if not eggcornhood in there.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-07-27 12:08:08)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-07-28 10:15:39

kem
Eggcornista

Re: mongrel hordes

The Mongols get a bum rep in Western literature. Among the top 20 English phrase slots for X in “mongol X” are “empire/invasion/hordes/tribes/rule/army/conquest.” We don’t hear much about Mongol affection/creativity/ingenuity/initiative/courage/art/curiosity/humour/playfulness/irony/eroticism/compassion, do we?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-07-28 17:31:44

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

When they “rebranded” (I am being facetious) as Moguls or Mughals they were a civilization, built the Taj Mahal and so on.

Shows what changing a few letters can do, as if we didn’t know.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2013-07-28 22:23:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

kem wrote:

Among the top 20 English phrase slots for X in “mongol X” are “empire/invasion/hordes/tribes/rule/army/conquest.”

Does anybody else get (like I do) the image of a yellow pencil?

#5 2013-07-28 22:41:44

kem
Eggcornista

Don’t think they had Mongol pencils when/where I grew up.

#6 2013-07-30 01:15:11

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

Don’t think they had Mongol pencils when/where I grew up.

I’m more partial to Dixon pencils myself.

#7 2013-07-30 08:35:52

burred
Eggcornista

The dread yellow pencil is a threat to peace and motherhood.

#8 2013-07-30 10:46:05

kem
Eggcornista

Ever wondered why the standard school (non-colored) graphite pencil is yellow? Here’s an explanation. By one count, 75% of all NA pencils are yellow.

In the second link, the author mentions that Mongol pencils are no longer sold in NA.

#9 2013-07-30 13:32:15

David Bird
Eggcornista

Ahaha! That was a wonderful long ride of misunderstandings by me. I see from Kem’s post that there are such things as Mongol pencils, and that most people think that pencils are yellow. So that’s what DT must have been referring to. I thought he was making a link, drawing from his vast collection of misshapings, from “mongol empire/invasion/hordes/tribes/rule/army/conquest”, to the yellow peril.

For my part, I’ve always considered pencil colour to be more or less orange. See image from Kem’s second link, reproduced here.

#10 2013-07-30 14:26:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

No, I was just remembering from my childhood, the prototypical pencil bore the Mongol label (made by Eberhard Faber—was their banning from NA some kind of a reaction to WWII?) and was yellow. Though I read early on of Genghis and other Khans, and grooved on the stories, the link to pencils was/is still quite strong in my mind. Wonder why Eberhard Faber chose that brand name.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-07-30 14:55:13)

#11 2013-07-30 14:54:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The link Kem provided says pencils were yellow because that was the imperial color in China and since the best graphite came from China coloring the pencils yellow provided a doubly positive association. Perhaps the Mongol name also came from the same sort of merchandising decision?

#12 2013-07-30 16:05:27

David Bird
Eggcornista

Must be. Mongolia has some of the oldest and largest graphite mines in the world. Graphite is now becoming a rare commodity and is in greater danger of being exhausted for lithium-ion batteries than is lithium itself. No wonder we’re losing lead in our pencils.

#13 2016-12-06 20:14:36

David Bird
Eggcornista

The third-corner round tripper (monger-mongrel-mongol). How could we have missed this one. There is a certain George Osborn whose twitter handle gets him hate mail for a closely-named Conservative member of parliament.

Despite not having an ‘e’ on the end of his Twitter handle, George was frequently mistaken for the then-Chancellor on the site between 2010 and 2016, and was called – among other things – a “scare mongol illuminati liar”
http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tec … re-twitter

A scare mongol! That 700-year-old reputation is hard to live down.

I still find it interesting TO A POINT and I am by no means posting this as a scare mongol.
solderers:http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/is-nickle-wire-extremely-dangerous/25326/13

OP: as it has been said, the “good old days” weren’t really all that good. you just weren’t alive then.
R: It’s only getting better what is getting worse is the scare mongol called “the media”
bodybuilders

It’s easy to add to the horde:

Betty didn’t like what I said and said I was a war Mongol.
memoir

I am a student. I am a watcher, a learner, and a listener, but I am also a war mongol, a city destroyer, a harbinger of pain and turmoil to countries that I have never been to.
student

you carry a bible so you think it makes you holy, beyond reach. No it makes you a hypocrite, it makes you a hate mongol just like the rest of them.
sermon

* snarls at Bookwyrm * dont tempt me lizard, or i shall slice ur belly open like a fish mongol guts a fish!!!
role-play

#14 2016-12-07 12:52:17

kem
Eggcornista

“War mongol.” More proof that Mongols have suffered the worst of literary fates—having their name turned into a negative lexical stereotype. In the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I suspect, Vidkun Quisling, Ned Ludd, Thomas Bowdler, Nicholas Chauvin, and Genghis Kahn are sharing a table next to the kitchen door.

#15 2016-12-10 08:47:09

David Bird
Eggcornista

Who’s on fourth? Mongo!

Oh,No you are very wrong as usuall, kurds do not condone the criminal activities that exists in kurdistan ,but they resent putting their voice behined a hate mongo like you
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … e-m0_Gmf5A

Making the Colonel perk up asking “Trance that fucking little war mongo! Missing out on a damn mission like this I have half the mind to court marshal his ass!
https://books.google.ca/books?id=cbpNxm … 22&f=false

Neologisms are new words created by the patient, which may be reflective of their psychological state: “I ain’t no war-Mongo” (said by a combat veteran who resembled the character Mongo, from Blazing Saddles); “Dr. Vishnewski said I have issues with trust and intimacy—all I need is some medicine for my honorrhea.”
http://clinicalpsychreading.blogspot.ca … tions.html

Quit being a fear-mongo ring troll for a minute and give shut the hell up.
https://www.thelayoff.com/t/AZazQyh

Another “stupid” argument that I’ve heard all the times: “well, the other guy is no better…I don’t like him…he looks too much like a Canadian... ”...oh YES the “other” guy IS much better…For once, he would stop the running away train (the war mongo , the hatred mongo, greedy mongo, fear mongo…).
http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.p … ion/page-3

#16 2016-12-10 18:37:39

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David, although your third example is quite likely to be a pun, I’m getting a good chuckle from your Mongo thing.

Board footer