Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-12-08 16:25:36

jorkel
Eggcornista

PAD (pat) of butter

Google counts on Dec. 8, 2008:
29,300,000 “pat of butter” (standard usage)
1940 “pad of butter” (eggcorn)

A pat is a small, square, flat portion. By comparison, a pad is thin and flat. So, it is not surprising that one might mistakenly think the expression is “pad of butter.”

Examples:

Mistretta’s Deli Specials – Entrees
Ciabatta bread and a pad of butter to accompany your meal GARLIC TOAST – $1.50. DAILY (Perfect complement to a plate of pasta & grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
www.mistrettas.com/4-28-2004Files/entrees.html · Cached page

Acorn Squash Recipe – Real Man’s Cookbook
Add a pad of butter to the hollowed-out side of each quarter. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Place on baking dish and put in 375 degree oven for about an hour.
www.conservativebookstore.com/cookbook/veg/vegi.htm · Cached page

Fried Cornmeal Mush Recipe—Mr Breakfast
I also put a dash of maple syrup in it while cooking, and a pad of butter… I like your web site. VJF of Sarassta, Fl. Comment submitted: 11/27/2007 (#4071)
www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=420 · Cached page

My Dad’s Vegetable Garden – Plant Parts
My favorite is corn on the cob with a warm pad of butter melting on it! (Note: Each corn kernel is actually a whole fruit. Learn more about corn as a fruit!
www.jmu.edu/biology/k12/garden/parts.htm · Cached page

Fast and easy family recipes: Great sausage sandwiches recipe
pad of butter French roll 1 link sausage Slice tomato into wedge shaped pieces. Do the same to the onions. SLice the mushrooms. Slice the bell pepper.
www.essortment.com/all/sausagesandwich_rqxm.htm · Cached page

#2 2008-12-08 17:33:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: PAD (pat) of butter

Can “flat” of butter be far behind?

Nice find.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-09-04 05:10:40

burred
Eggcornista

Re: PAD (pat) of butter

From the Old Bailey, 1805:

Q. On the morning of Wednesday the 20th of November, were you sent into the fields of your master for the beasts? – A. Yes, at about half seven o’clock in the morning, on returning home, as I was in the road, I saw something through the gate in Mr. Briggs’s field, I got over the gate, I found a bag, and under that bag was three pieces of lead.
Q. Did any thing strike you respecting the edges of the lead, did they appear fresh cut? – A. The edges were shining. I opened the bag and found a white pocket handkerchief, in the handkerchief were several flats of butter, the handkerchief was marked with F.
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j … 051204.xml

After my story of the the cat and the pat, it occurred to me to look for pads of butter. Alas, Joe had long ago consumed same. A pat is made by patting. A pad is probably related to the sole of the foot.

Board footer