Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2008-12-08 22:25:36

jorkel
Eggcornista

PAD (pat) of butter

Google counts on Dec. 8, 2008:
29,300,000 “pat of butter” (standard usage)
1940 “pad of butter” (eggcorn)

A pat is a small, square, flat portion. By comparison, a pad is thin and flat. So, it is not surprising that one might mistakenly think the expression is “pad of butter.”

Examples:

Mistretta’s Deli Specials – Entrees
Ciabatta bread and a pad of butter to accompany your meal GARLIC TOAST – $1.50. DAILY (Perfect complement to a plate of pasta & grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
www.mistrettas.com/4-28-2004Files/entrees.html · Cached page

Acorn Squash Recipe – Real Man’s Cookbook
Add a pad of butter to the hollowed-out side of each quarter. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Place on baking dish and put in 375 degree oven for about an hour.
www.conservativebookstore.com/cookbook/veg/vegi.htm · Cached page

Fried Cornmeal Mush Recipe—Mr Breakfast
I also put a dash of maple syrup in it while cooking, and a pad of butter… I like your web site. VJF of Sarassta, Fl. Comment submitted: 11/27/2007 (#4071)
www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=420 · Cached page

My Dad’s Vegetable Garden – Plant Parts
My favorite is corn on the cob with a warm pad of butter melting on it! (Note: Each corn kernel is actually a whole fruit. Learn more about corn as a fruit!
www.jmu.edu/biology/k12/garden/parts.htm · Cached page

Fast and easy family recipes: Great sausage sandwiches recipe
pad of butter French roll 1 link sausage Slice tomato into wedge shaped pieces. Do the same to the onions. SLice the mushrooms. Slice the bell pepper.
www.essortment.com/all/sausagesandwich_rqxm.htm · Cached page

#2 2008-12-08 23:33:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: PAD (pat) of butter

Can “flat” of butter be far behind?

Nice find.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-09-04 10:10:40

burred
Eggcornista

Re: PAD (pat) of butter

From the Old Bailey, 1805:

Q. On the morning of Wednesday the 20th of November, were you sent into the fields of your master for the beasts? – A. Yes, at about half seven o’clock in the morning, on returning home, as I was in the road, I saw something through the gate in Mr. Briggs’s field, I got over the gate, I found a bag, and under that bag was three pieces of lead.
Q. Did any thing strike you respecting the edges of the lead, did they appear fresh cut? – A. The edges were shining. I opened the bag and found a white pocket handkerchief, in the handkerchief were several flats of butter, the handkerchief was marked with F.
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j … 051204.xml

After my story of the the cat and the pat, it occurred to me to look for pads of butter. Alas, Joe had long ago consumed same. A pat is made by patting. A pad is probably related to the sole of the foot.

Board footer