Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-11-04 17:22:46

Chandra

A rare Canadian eggcorn? "Out in a boat" for "out and about"

I searched the forums and didn’t find any other example of this. A student of mine wrote about a character being “out in a boat”, when there was no mention of any boat in the reading passage. I was completely stumped until I realized he must have meant “out and about”. I wonder now if he considers this some kind of figurative idiom? And I wonder if this one would only be likely to pop up here in Canada, with our infamous Canadian raising.

#2 2013-11-04 17:42:27

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: A rare Canadian eggcorn? "Out in a boat" for "out and about"

Good one, Chandra! Unfortunately, I can’t figure out a way to google “out in a boat” is such a way as to screen out the flood of actual boat references from the eggcornical use of the term, so can’t determine if it’s been used that way by someone other than your student.

#3 2013-11-04 18:05:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: A rare Canadian eggcorn? "Out in a boat" for "out and about"

Oh yeah! Excellent! A boat time we found that one!
(Another example of the prolific in/and confusion.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer