Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-05-17 12:51:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

hard attack

There are a lot of hard/heart substitutions already on the site, some of them quite good (e.g. die-heart , hard-wrenching ). I didn’t find here on the site this one that was just reported to me.

My kid’s been giving me a hard attack.

In this particular case it could well be a blend of “hard time” with “heart attack”, but eggcornish motivation could well be there as well.
There are lots of purposeful usages out there, including the title of a 1972 hard rock album by Dust, and lots of usages based on that, but also loads of quite possibly legit (i.e. unaware, standard-for-the-user) usages such as:

So cold that as we marched deeper into winter, the rumor mill said that a soldier had a hard attack because of the temperature.

I had a hard attack? – Yahoo Answers
answers.yahoo.com › All Categories › Health › Diet & Fitness
Sep 13, 2006 – Heart attack? Did you go to the hospital, maybe it was not a heart attack,

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-05-17 12:52:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer