Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-16 02:13:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"bunk" for "buck"

This recently resurrected thread on poker-derived eggcorns got me thinking about possible variations on “pass the buck” which, I believe, is poker-derived. I only found one example of “pass the bunk”:

18. to pass the bunk
list of English phrases, apparently for ESL learners

“Pass the bunk” for “pass the buck” makes sense because passing the buck could be considered a sort of bunk (i.e., baloney, hogwash). But with only one example, I won’t campaign for it to be added to the official eggcorn list—yet.

There are a few examples of “bunk naked” for “buck naked”, for instance:

The exercise is not easy: try to ignore bunk naked bodies and try to guess how many people are hiding in the picture below.
caption of body-painting picture

Hustler wants Casey anthony to pose bunk naked for $500k.
discussion of ‘reality’ TV

Damn, even after 3 years I can’t do the bunk naked match.
wrestling discussion

An eggcornish meaning-connection could be the notion that one is naked when sleeping in one’s bunk.

In related news, “buck beds” for “bunk beds” is mentioned in this thread

#2 2014-07-16 04:41:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "bunk" for "buck"

I’ve also found one example of “pass the butt” for “pass the buck”:

Poor after sales care would not recommend this company as not interested in putting work right trying to pass the butt and blame somebody else.
review of a business

#3 2014-07-16 09:28:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

In passing the butt, is the connection with being the ‘target’ sense of butt (e.g. being the butt of a joke)? That might work: you pass the target status to the next person? Or is it somehow connected with covering your own butt and encouraging people to aim at another’s? Passing the vulnerability? Or what?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2014-07-16 11:55:44

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

In passing the butt, is the connection with being the ‘target’ sense of butt (e.g. being the butt of a joke)? That might work: you pass the target status to the next person? Or is it somehow connected with covering your own butt and encouraging people to aim at another’s? Passing the vulnerability? Or what?

I’d go for either of those.

#5 2014-07-19 03:45:41

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

There are also quite a few examples of “bunking bronco” on the ‘Net, for instance:

Michelle Keegan shows off the bruises she suffered from riding a Bunking Bronco.
photo caption

The clowns helping Jake back up after he fell off his bunking bronco in the Kindergarten Rodeo.
blog

Saw the fireworks and then went for a couple of beers in a cowboy bar where I was asked to dance to the country band by a real bare-back bunking bronco rider!
another blog

But offhand I can’t imagine any eggcornish meaning confusion here.

Board footer