Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-01-01 22:34:36

melmike

Skidish and Skiddish for Skittish

I searched the site and did not find this one. It actually appears in the Urban Dictionary as “skidish: Someone who is on edge – jumpy – nervous state of mind often referenced after a startling event.
‘I was so skidish walking through the grave yard after hearing the owl.’” There is another entry: “skiddish: The wrong way to spell ‘skittish,’ which means ‘easily frightened.’ It will be hard to catch my cat because she is a bit ‘skiddish.’ How do you spell that? ‘S-K-I-T-T-I-S-H’.” I come across it frequently in posts about rescued cats and dogs. I get about 27,800 hits on Google. Perhaps the thought is that the animals “skid” as they try to escape, being jumpy?

#2 2015-01-02 09:01:47

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Skidish and Skiddish for Skittish

Good find. But alas, not a new find. See here and here.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2015-01-02 12:31:08

melmike

Darn. I must have been doing something wrong in my site searches. Thanks for the links. (I was surprised that I got no hits here.)

#4 2015-01-02 14:53:04

kem
Eggcornista

You probably did the Search rather than the Google Search. The web site does not explain, unfortunately, that Search only looks in the Eggcorn Database entries and not in the Eggcorn Forum.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer